Risers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Risers

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am

Jyw5,
The heel piece from the Voile Heavy Duty Mountaineer will accept a heel riser bar. It will accept one bar not two. Just like the upper left photo Ben posted.
I provided the link from the Traverse, so you could visualize the climbing bar. That is too tall. The HDM heel piece is the correct height and is available from Voile, along with two different height climbing bars.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:42 am

jyw5 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 am
awesome! the one on the left looks great.

Thanks for all the info!

I looked at the Voile heel and its 18mm. assuming a 10mm toe on the NNN BC binding, its about a 2 degree delta...I don't know how that would affect skiing performance having that forward lean as nordic is zero degrees...with a possible heel rise already from the boot.

I obviously don't have any idea what the proper name or parts are. I just know I want a heel lifter/climbing heel as Voile calls it to assist for ascents and then fold it down for the descent or when not using them. Thats where an AT binding's heel lifter is nice because it is completely out of the way when not in use.

That would be some frankenmod!

I skiied some low angle 4-6" fresh dry light powder today on ft62s...it was incredibly good. If the mountains aren't wind-loaded tomorrow, I may attempt a very steep slope on the ft62s with full skins. 1400ft vertical in 1 miles. That climb would be great if there was an AT like heel lifter.

I am going to investigate further and if it looks plausible, I will see if my local shop is willing to install it on my old S112s and will definitely report back!
The heel piece for the 3- pin cable binding is 8.5 mm. There are two sizes of climbing bars that will fit. There is nothing remotely Frankenbinding about it. Remove the Rotte heel piece. Install the Voile heel piece.
F5854284-4EBA-4DC8-A00F-DADDB8192DA7.png
1A95F938-0734-4F09-BE5A-2865181B551C.png

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks again! awesome. will order it and get them installed.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:38 am

Just a little comment. I inspected the Rottefella 10mm riser plates on my Nansens. They are mounted with 3 longer binding screws cross through the risers and into the skis. So this is a significant difference to the voile risers which are mounted with 4 screws in a different pattern.
So it isn't possible to remove the binding without also removing the riser plate.