Asnes Fjellskis- Turn Radius

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Asnes Fjellskis- Turn Radius

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Here is an email response I received directly from Asnes this morning- inquiring about the turn radius of a number of Asnes fjellskis that are designed for hilly/steep terrain:
email- Asnes fjellski turn radii.png
Here is a table with comparitive information on these skis:
table- Asnes fjellski turn radii.png
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Asnes Fjellskis- Turn Radius

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:00 pm

i wonder how Asnes calculates turn radius?
If i plug the numbers into the FIS turn radius calculator (i’m not making this up), i get similar numbers (except with a decimal point in front of the meters?).
http://member.fis-ski.com/skicalc.htm

But, i dunno, i might just go with @lowangle al on this one…
;-) <———
lowangle al wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:10 am
I don't think dbl camber skis stay compressed long enough for turn radius to matter.

On single camber you can quietly ride your edges through not only the turn, but the transitions too. Both skis evenly weighted and edged, from edge change to edge change, gliding silently, barely disturbing a thing.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:22 pm

Looking at those numbers I can see why all of those skis with TR around the 40s will be happiest close to the fall line. You'll want to stay lowangle because those turns don't scrub speed. This is with smooth turns, like the ones I described in my above quote. To slow down you need another kind of turn to get your skis across the slope.

So I guess turn radius dictates how fast a ski will carve across the hill, probably nothing new there. What is new is that now I know how it affects my skiing.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:52 am

The above numbers are just the inherent turn-radii of each of the skis as a function of the geometry of their respective effective/working edge.

How "easy", "smooth" a ski is to turn is a complex of many things- including camber, flex pattern, skier weight and ski length, snow conditions, terrain, and skier skill.

However, all things being equal-

For example-
The Nansen is in application "easier" to turn than the Combat NATO because it has a smoother, rounder flex, and does not have the extra resistance-camber underfoot of the Combat NATO.
I can pressure the Nansen into a tighter carved turn much easier than the Combat NATO- despite the Combat NATO's inherent shorter turn radius.

Another example-
Despite how close the inherent turn radius is of the Ingstad vs Sverdrup- I can pressure the softer-flexing Sverdrup into a significantly tighter turn radius than the Ingstad.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:11 am

Sure there are other variables that affect how easy a ski turns. For this context of turn radius I'm thinking of riding the edges how they want to turn, without flexing the ski. If I want to control speed I'll apply more pressure and flex them.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:49 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:52 am
Another example-
Despite how close the inherent turn radius is of the Ingstad vs Sverdrup- I can pressure the softer-flexing Sverdrup into a significantly tighter turn radius than the Ingstad.
To add to this- the Sverdrup is easier to pressure into a tighter carved turn than the Ingstad- DESPITE it being more cambered and stiffer underfoot than the Ingstad.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:08 am

Just let the skis run, trying not to pressure them into flexing. Once the ski bends the turning radius changes. Bending the skis takes more energy, it used to be the only way I could turn a ski with control. You can only let them "run" until you get to the point where you need to control speed. These are mostly turns for the low angle for that reason.