Rottefella 75mm, NNN-BC and XPlore mounting hole metrics

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Rottefella 75mm, NNN-BC and XPlore mounting hole metrics

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:55 am

I digitally measured the distances between mounting holes on the above Rottefella bindings.
See the PDFS for to-scale printouts of the paper jigs, and the images below for the numerical measurements.
Measurements are not rounded but presumably rounding to the nearest mm would be good enough.
Xplore:
Xplore dimensions.png
Xplore-dimensions.pdf
(455.56 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
NNN-BC:
NNN-BC dimensions.png
NNN-BC-Dimensions.pdf
(357.27 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
75mm:
75mm dimensions.png
75mm-dimensions.pdf
(197.74 KiB) Downloaded 493 times

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Rottefella 75mm, NNN-BC and XPlore mounting hole metrics

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:08 am

Summary:
- Maximum Screw mounting width of Xplore, NNN-BC and Rottefella Super Telemark are the same (2.6 cm between hole centers). Rottefella Cobra is wider.
- When remounting from NNN-BC to XPlore, you can re-use the same front two holes and your pin line gets moved backwards by 0.5 cm (or forwards by 2 cm, if you use the NNN-BC front holes as the XPlore rear holes)
- When remounting from Super Telemark to Xplore, if you re-use the ST toepiece rear holes, your pin line gets moved backwards by 2.4 cm (or by 5.4 cm if you use the ST rear ski holes on the XPlore front binding holes).

NNN-BC to XPlore: I suppose that 0.5 cm is probably negligible.
75mm to XPlore: What are the effects of moving the pin line backwards by 2.4 cm?

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:21 am

This is superb! Thank you so much for posting.

The data on reusing holes when switching binding types was particularly interesting.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:38 am

I appreciated the info provided when I removed the NNNBC binding on my new to me Green Man and went Xplore.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:36 am

Thanks CwmRaider. When I first tried Xplore, I remounted a pair of old Fischer E109 from Super Telemark and did a preliminary mount without glue. I reused the old holes and drilled two more forward of them, and they where thus mounted 2,4 cm behind the balance point.

This weekend I mounted two other pairs of skis previously mounted with 75mm bindings, and also redid the mount on the E109. I plugged almost all previous holes on all skis and mounted the Xplore bindings. On the E109 I decided to move the mount forward and reused the forward of the main Xplore holes, thus the binding is mounted ~6mm ahead of the balance point. When I used the ski yesterday in medium deep and loose snow I noticed that going uphill seemed easier than before. I wasn't expecting a difference and it is too soon to conclude, but it may seem the resistance I have previously experienced from deep snow and a soft front ski was noticeably reduced.

I also decided to use long screws on the rear two of the main mounting holes, as those are the ones receiving the forces when flexing the boot in the binding, especially with the hard flexor. I plan to do so on any ski that I expect to use with the hard flexor like our Falketind 62s, and perhaps also on the old pair of Rago as the mount seemed less secure on those. I think the standard screws are a bit short, but the long ones are quite long. The mount on our Fischer E99 and E109 felt quite secure with the standard screws, but they have a raised/reinforced platform for mounting.