North Country Scenic Trail

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
t-$

Re: North Country Scenic Trail

Post by t-$ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:55 am

short overnighter again on the nct here outside of traverse city. parked at the same spot as the last trip (schecks cmpgnd), but instead headed north up to the Mucie Lakes Pathway. i'm not totally sure as to the camping regs in this spot, but i didn't see anybody else and was able to find a nice little valley off the trail to set up camp.
camp2.jpg
the last round of snow we had is now turning into mushyness with the recent warmup, but it made for alright skiing next to the main trail. set tracks were still solid ice, and i did try skiing in them for a minute here and there, but it was soooo noisy!!! hahhaah, i certainly wouldn't have had to worry about silently sneaking up on bigfoot doing that. the eons did great and they are always surprising me with their versatility, and the shorter length is nice with the pulk. i so want to try skiing them with the t2's, but that will have to wait till next season.

screwed up the hammock set-up this time. while i admit that i haven't mastered hammock-ing, i've gotten fairly decent, but this one was downright shitty...an utter fail. i got to bed fairly early all snuggled in, then woke up at about 3 am and somehow my airmat and blanket taco that i sleep on had wormed its way out and was sticking up into the air at my feet! my sleeping back was still around me but squishing my head with downward pressure :( the connection at the foot end of the hammock was too long and had settled disproportionately to my head, which i realized, like i said, about 3 am. and the dismount....oh...judges give it a 10. pretty much a classic roll out and land on your face. good thing i was still shrouded in my mummy-bag. so it was up and get the fire going and think about coffee and pack up. back to the car by 6 and head into town for a true breakfast. not a bad way to spend a friday night.

anyways, it was another nice ski out, and i'm thinking it'd be nice to see how much of this trail i can section hike/ski. sounds like a nice long-term goal type thing. and hopefully by the time i would get around to it, most if not all of the trail will be actual trail!

trying to get as much in as possible before end of season....have fun out there ya'll...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm

T-$, nice to hear you got out. Snow here is patchy, no trail skiing and I am really missing it. Looks like you still have pretty good coverage even if the snow wasn't perfect. You may not have hammock camping down to a tee, but you are in front of me, and have given me something to think about. Hope it lasts a bit longer for you.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 am

hey fishy,

yeah, it's fading fast but still skiable. this weekend i'll be heading up to the up with a colleague for a few nights of bc camp/ski fun. hopefully the snow is even better up there but we will see. gotta get it while the gettings good!

honestly tho, my mind is already turning to spring tasks. on the list are:

ski making
sail preparation
road trip planning
wild bonsai collection
sun bathing

when i think of more things to do besides skiing, well, then i guess it means that ski season is almost over! it's been a good one though, and i feel that i have improved more this season than ever. hammock skills can be honed all year, and the only way to get better is to keep doing it, right?

anyways, have fun out there, even if there's no snow

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm

thanks for the report, wow that's a long way to pull a sled, you must have slept well!

It looks warm....what did you have on the bottom of those skis to get the traction to pull the sled?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am

Hey canna,

Sorry I haven't checked in in a minute, but I just had wax, and sometimes boots!! :lol:

And yeah, I always sleep wonderfully when I do a ski camp. Something about it puts my soul at ease and no matter how cold I sleep better than at home