Mont Logan, Chic-Chocs (Easter 2016)

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Mont Logan, Chic-Chocs (Easter 2016)

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:35 pm

-5 days hut-to-hut
-2 days at tree line
-sun
-snow
-XCD
LOGAN - 1.jpg
LOGAN - 3.jpg
LOGAN - 4.jpg
LOGAN - 2.jpg
What else does one need for Easter?

Yeah well, if you were not there, you should have been! Maybe next year?
Last edited by bgregoire on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Re: Mont Logan, Chic-Chocs (Easter 2016)

Post by MikeK » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Whoa nice. Perfect pitch for some XCD.

You don't want to ski that with leathers??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: To me that has leather written all over it!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:32 pm

MikeK wrote:Whoa nice. Perfect pitch for some XCD.

You don't want to ski that with leathers??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: To me that has leather written all over it!
I want to sure, but I did not. Brought 2 pairs of boots and 1 pair of skis on that trip. I chose boots specific to both the backcountry touring aspect (4 days) and the xcD (2 days). Still looking for that magic boot that does it all (+ keeps you warm and dries easily in a hut), I'm getting close (as you have been following all over this forum mind you). Besides, what you see in that vid is of the lightest sherbert slopes we found. We did not bother filming the crud in which my Alfas would have sucked.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 am

Well you can keep looking for the perfect boot, I think it's like the perfect ski, or a Unicorn perhaps...

I prefer the more realistic approach myself, it's often been referred to me so elegantly as: Piss with the dick you're given.

Perhaps some of that is lost in translation but I roughly take it as make due with what is out there, or what you have. I accept little compromise from my equipment, and I don't think it really has as much as some people make it out to be. One only needs to look a few years into the past to see people skied more with less. Instead I look within myself for what is lacking.

Eventually you'll either have to accept some loss in touring efficiency and gain in weight or lack of downhill control. Only you can decide what is the correct balance for you.

My humble opinion is I'd rather make that compromise than carry two pairs of boots on a 5 day trip.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:08 am

MikeK wrote:Well you can keep looking for the perfect boot, I think it's like the perfect ski, or a Unicorn perhaps...

Nope, there is a perfect (best available) ski, even a perfect boot for ANY given trip or type of trip (in this case a boot seriously comfy on the K&G AND on a full days out telemarking all this within the scope of multi-day outings, something I do alot). Not talking about a perfect boot/ski for all occasions. I thought we got that figured out years ago.
MikeK wrote: Piss with the dick you're given.
Wow, that's a pretty thought. Thanks. There is another good quote out there, it goes something like "Practice what you preach". So your back to a one ski quiver MikeK? Cleared up all but your Ingstads or are you sticking with the USGI Combats?? :mrgreen:
MikeK wrote:My humble opinion is I'd rather make that compromise than carry two pairs of boots on a 5 day trip.
Well, I did not have to carry the 2nd pair, so the set up/combo actually was perfect for me on that trip. So back to the trip itself...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:15 am

Didn't say anything about a one ski quiver, but perhaps I was mistaken. So you did two separate trips?

Forgive my ignorance but I thought you did all unassisted.

And nope, I would have brought nearly all my skis for something like that. Probably all my boots too. Would have skied different stuff depending on what I was doing.

Was still under the impression you were trying to do everything with one boot and one ski. Good luck. I think I'm done reading your stuff. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:30 am

MikeK wrote: I thought you did all unassisted.
The majority of my multi-day outings are unassisted. For this one, we had a box delivered up top, with food, some beers and a pair of boots.
MikeK wrote:Was still under the impression you were trying to do everything with one boot and one ski.
I only do that when on multi-day expeditions. Otherwise, I maintain quite a sizeable quiver, like most ski freaks out there.

Cheers.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:42 am

Well against my better judgement I'll respond that I thought you were looking for the perfect boot (and perhaps ski) for long, unassisted telemark trips.

That is what I meant by my previous post, and my wisdom, or lack thereof is always the same. It's going to be some compromise. Only you know what that is, but you seem to be still searching. My suggestion was to perhaps search inside rather than out.

I'm always looking for a nice balance. But perfection does not exist. You are either going to clomp with a stiff boot and wide ski or learn to ski touring gear in more difficult situations. I keep suggesting the latter because you are at heart a XC guy, and I know you can do it ;)

I'm the same, that's why my quiver tends more toward touring gear despite me doing more xcD these days.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:55 am

MikeK wrote:Well against my better judgement I'll respond that I thought you were looking for the perfect boot (and perhaps ski) for long, unassisted telemark trips.

That is what I meant by my previous post, and my wisdom, or lack thereof is always the same. It's going to be some compromise. Only you know what that is, but you seem to be still searching. My suggestion was to perhaps search inside rather than out.

I'm always looking for a nice balance. But perfection does not exist. You are either going to clomp with a stiff boot and wide ski or learn to ski touring gear in more difficult situations. I keep suggesting the latter because you are at heart a XC guy, and I know you can do it ;)

I'm the same, that's why my quiver tends more toward touring gear despite me doing more xcD these days.
Ok, I'm now seeing what you are getting at more clearly. I do know all this already though. I'm working hard from the inside too. No need to be concerned yoda. Still, I believe there is a point to suiting up with a compromise boot. I have essentially found it in the Alico Teletour (single buckle). The Andrew Zenith is no doubt a super alternative. Got a size too big at the moment and it shoes. Waiting for a size 8 a just won on ebay. The Excursion is a super interested compromise boot too. Just too downhill oriented (stiff) for my taste. As you say, it gets quite personal when adjusting the finer details of our kits.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:01 am

Also, I know by watching your videos what your skill level is, and it's very similar to mine. And I would ski that slope you showed in the video with 200cm skis and my NNN Alaskas. And I guarantee I wouldn't fall.

Not being cocky or dissing you by any means. I'm saying you have the skill to do it.

I'll also be very honest and say it would be more FUN (for me) with 185cm skis with some sidecut, and perhaps with some boots with some good ankle support... but I might not want to ski those on the flats for 5 days, so I might compromise.