Arctic Sweden-Norway (last April)

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Young Satchel

Re: Arctic Sweden-Norway (last April)

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:58 pm

lilcliffy wrote:our current family situation prevents it at the moment
As someone who’s current family situation prevents him from doing well, a lot of things...I’ve got a lot of empathy for you, man. I hope you guys find a way to get back out there soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am

lilcliffy wrote: Gorgeous snow! Did you have the Eon wax or the Omnitrack?
I second this question. What would you recommend? I'm always worried about traveling long distance for a trip like this and bringing the wrong ski and then being slow with scales, or wrapped in a cocoon of klister...

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm

wow, i need to pop in here more often....that's pretty nice...

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am

Cliffy it was the Omnitrack. Now I am debating whether to buy a new pair of Eons to mount NNN-BC Magnums on or to remove my 3-pins and replace them with the Magnums on the existing ski. Not sure if I will go waxable or not if I get a new ski, a lot of variable snow there and it is windy sometimes and hard to service your skis in the field. My wife really likes the Svartinsen boots with her 3-pins- big improvement over the lightweight Garmont Tours that she used on this trip.

You are right- nordic touring is a blast, surprising so few people do it. In Scandanavia it is normalcy itself!

We are thinking of moving to Sweden.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the report!

How did you find the grip of the Omnitrack base up there? What were the temperatures?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Temperatures were all over the place- from -20C to 4C, when it was 4c it rained for two days- luckily at that stage we were holed up at Umbukta Fjellstua (a quiet mt lodge in a former trading post) on a rare road crossing, and they have beer! The owner of Umbukta is 60-something years-old- he has twice skied the length of Norway- that is 2.700 km each time. He skied it south to north then north to south. He has also walked it both directions and he has bicycled it. He did all that in his 50s. Now he is going to roller ski it this summer, two people have done that- took them 31 days, he thinks he can do it in 28. Don't doubt him. Must be a robot... The Eons had good grip I never used my skins- this year I am going to pull a pulk, I will see how that goes. Descending steeps with 55lbs on the back sucks.