Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:23 pm

peterindc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:26 pm

Water: We’re assuming no water is accessible and we’ll be boiling each day, yes? Or can we expect any open water on the route we can filter or treat

Stove: Did you take a liquid fuel stove or IsoPro? I have both MSR XGK EX and a Jetboil, just gauging the need to boil lots of water vs the warmish temperatures and convenience of IsoPro

If you find open water and you filter you're going to want to keep the filters from freezing, as freezing compromises the filtering membranes as they can break.

When winter camping I've stopped trying to keep my filters warm and now I boil the water using a white-gas stove (trangia w/ primus setup for me) and the efficiency in fuel use is quite astonishing. I was boiling at least gallon throughout the day last november for 3 days and used half a bottle (closer to sea level though).

blitzskier

Re: Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Post by blitzskier » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:14 am

why bring fuel when there are trees and old limbs to burn? is that ok with the ranger if you have the fire permit?

I was there at the lake 2 years ago at the end of winter , and the snow pack was deep, what an amaizing adventure, and what happened to the video on the first page?

peterindc
Ski style: XCd, xcD, tele, alpine...it's all good
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad BC 195cm WL, Åsnes Tindan 176cm, vintage Epoke 900 210cm wax
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance GTX, Scott Excursion, old leather beaters

Post by peterindc » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:59 pm

Glad you had a good trip!

No campfires currently allowed, see
https://www.nps.gov/crla/learn/nature/w ... 0Areas%201.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:09 pm

blitzskier wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:14 am
why bring fuel when there are trees and old limbs to burn? is that ok with the ranger if you have the fire permit?

I was there at the lake 2 years ago at the end of winter , and the snow pack was deep, what an amaizing adventure, and what happened to the video on the first page?
Building a campfire to melt snow and cook food is more time consuming. On snow it's a bit more complicated requiring you to lay down a base of logs to insulate your fire from the snow. Either way, fires in the snow are also kind of crappy requiring lots of attention to keep going. I've built fires winter camping before but it's not something that everyone wants to mess around with.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:37 pm

requires planning , maybe chop wood up in summer time and have a camp stashed away for winter