Nord Trondelag

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: Nord Trondelag

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:08 am

@Musk Ox
Where would I take a bus to in the Reisdalen? Can I ski right from the bus or do I need a taxi to a trailhead? It might be nice to ski the Reisdalen and then cut over to Kilisjavri in Finland via their huts system and take a bus from there to Tromso (if that runs in the winter). I have hiked to Kilipsjavri from Sultijelma 2x. Alternatively I can come out at Kautokeino where my Sami friend's children live. Then fly back from Alta.

Is the river open normally or can you can ski on it?

I see the other cabins now they are a mix- Statskog, some private rentals, the DNT cabin, and some smaller open gamme cabins.

I am checking my flights to Tromso and the Skarven's menu!
20190319_162908[1][1].jpg
20190319_162948[1][1].jpg

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:21 am

randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:08 am
@Musk Ox
Where would I take a bus to in the Reisdalen? Can I ski right from the bus or do I need a taxi to a trailhead? It might be nice to ski the Reisdalen and then cut over to Kilisjavri in Finland via their huts system and take a bus from there to Tromso (if that runs in the winter). I have hiked to Kilipsjavri from Sultijelma 2x. Alternatively I can come out at Kautokeino where my Sami friend's children live. Then fly back from Alta.

I see the other cabins now they are a mix- Statskog, some private rentals, the DNT cabin, and some smaller open gamme cabins.

Gosh, I really don't know how far buses go down to the trailhead at Saraelv. I'd call the Reisa Nasjonalpark and ask them, to be honest... we have our climate traitor's SUV. Getting from Kilpisjärvi to Tromsø is easy, as is Kautokeino.

Actually, wait wait, when are you going?! Have you ever been to Kautokeino for the Sámi Joik Grand Prix/ Easter Festival? YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. There's the Reindeer World Cup, for a start. Second week of April?

When we were there a couple of years ago, the first prize for the lasso competition was a snowmobile. Amazing skills, and someone sang a snowmobile joik for the winner. The Joik Grand Prix has entrants from all over Sápmi. It absolutely has to be experienced.

You could theoretically start in Kauotokeino and do some of the Nordkalott trail?

https://reisanasjonalpark.no/en/nordkalott-trail/

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:05 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:21 am
randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:08 am
@Musk Ox

Gosh, I really don't know how far buses go down to the trailhead at Saraelv. I'd call the Reisa Nasjonalpark and ask them, to be honest... we have our climate traitor's SUV. Getting from Kilpisjärvi to Tromsø is easy, as is Kautokeino.

Actually, wait wait, when are you going?! Have you ever been to Kautokeino for the Sámi Joik Grand Prix/ Easter Festival? YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. There's the Reindeer World Cup, for a start. Second week of April?

When we were there a couple of years ago, the first prize for the lasso competition was a snowmobile. Amazing skills, and someone sang a snowmobile joik for the winner. The Joik Grand Prix has entrants from all over Sápmi. It absolutely has to be experienced.

You could theoretically start in Kauotokeino and do some of the Nordkalott trail?

https://reisanasjonalpark.no/en/nordkalott-trail/

Its a Fool's expedition in April. I plan to fly to Tromso arriving Thursday 31 March, then leave Tromso for the trailhead the next day- by bus on Friday, 1 April aka Fool's day.

I would have to string it out for awhile to make the Sami event. Looks like fun though. My wife says I joik in my sleep. I am buying a Paris pulk from Ski and Sikkel- mine is in Trondelag still, I have another pulk stashed in Lonsdal at my Sami friend's house.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:31 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 am
randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 am
3hr bus from Tromso is easy access! I would never rent a car to have it sit for a week at a trailhead while I ski.
Ah, sorry – it's three hours from Tromsø to the Reisafjord Hotel, not three hours to the national park/trails. The Reisafjord Hotel is our base camp and recovery stop the three times we've been to this region, I don't know why. You'll need to get all the way to Storslett, which is about twenty minutes up the road. The last 50 km from Storslett to Saraelv is the tricky bit. I don't think there's a bus. This is truly the hipster's national park. I'd go as far as to say one of Europe's best kept secrets.

Actually, I think you can ski up to the vidda from Storslett, which would be amazing, bracingly steep with a pulk, but I've never done that. I know for a fact there are trails up there, we talked about doing them. I assume you can strike out from there to the national park, but it'll be 45km or thereabouts. And skiing down (or up) the river along the huts in the national park is one of the best experiences I've had in my life in any mode, including all the drugs and sex, and that river valley with eagles and elk and ermine has to be seen to be believed.

Here's some of the hytte there. https://reisanasjonalpark.no/en/cabins/
I called Mo i Rana Vice about the sex and drugs use! They didn't answer; probably slacking off at Grease Burger, that greasy fast-food/candy-shop joint in downtown Mo.

I can get the 480 buss (but only on weekdays : ( Prolly a school bus, to a stop about 3km past the Reisastua lodge, that is the last bus stop in this valley. That is about 6km before Saraelv- an easy walk but I don't like to drag the pulk on a plowed road for that distance.

There are bus stops all down the valley before that one- where could one logically begin skiing on the river (or alongside it)? Unfortunately I don't know the geography in this part of Troms.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:54 am

randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:31 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 am
randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 am
3hr bus from Tromso is easy access! I would never rent a car to have it sit for a week at a trailhead while I ski.
Ah, sorry – it's three hours from Tromsø to the Reisafjord Hotel, not three hours to the national park/trails. The Reisafjord Hotel is our base camp and recovery stop the three times we've been to this region, I don't know why. You'll need to get all the way to Storslett, which is about twenty minutes up the road. The last 50 km from Storslett to Saraelv is the tricky bit. I don't think there's a bus. This is truly the hipster's national park. I'd go as far as to say one of Europe's best kept secrets.

Actually, I think you can ski up to the vidda from Storslett, which would be amazing, bracingly steep with a pulk, but I've never done that. I know for a fact there are trails up there, we talked about doing them. I assume you can strike out from there to the national park, but it'll be 45km or thereabouts. And skiing down (or up) the river along the huts in the national park is one of the best experiences I've had in my life in any mode, including all the drugs and sex, and that river valley with eagles and elk and ermine has to be seen to be believed.

Here's some of the hytte there. https://reisanasjonalpark.no/en/cabins/
I called Mo i Rana Vice about the sex and drugs use! They didn't answer; probably slacking off at Grease Burger, that greasy fast-food/candy-shop joint in downtown Mo.

I can get the 480 buss (but only on weekdays : ( Prolly a school bus, to a stop about 3km past the Reisastua lodge, that is the last bus stop in this valley. That is about 6km before Saraelv- an easy walk but I don't like to drag the pulk on a plowed road for that distance.

There are bus stops all down the valley before that one- where could one logically begin skiing on the river (or alongside it)? Unfortunately I don't know the geography in this part of Troms.
Firstly, I'm only sorry we won't be in in town to have a beer and lend you stuff. I've been in Denmark for the whole winter. It's been agony.

Theoretically you can stop basically anywhere from Storslett and start skiing on the river where you like.

https://www.inatur.no/hytte/5c596274b471df00030a5272 We stayed here last time. Has a sauna. The river was skiable from here, so that last 6km Saraelv would be fine.

From Saraelv, there are trails up into the mountains. You could do a circuit up into the hills and back down along the Reisa, maybe (but double check the river's passable.)

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:18 pm

@Musk Ox

Ha! I was just looking at that cabin on UT. I like Statskog cabins.

I am now looking at this in the inverse sense- because after 31 March there are zero busses from Kilipsjavri to Tromso until the summer starts.

So maybe I cross the Finland side first- Starting with the Finnish if you will...yuck yuck yuck!

I wrote the National park and asked them about the river ice and general conditions at the moment.

The good thing about the Danish is their superiority complex vis-a-vis Norwegians is not quite as strong as the Swedish. Why are the impoverished peoples so arrogant?

BTW "beer" is spelled beers (always plural!). Next time! Thanks for all the local info.
Last edited by randoskier on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm

randoskier wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:18 pm
@Musk Ox

This cabin is awesome!
randoskier wrote:

The good thing about the Danish is their superiority complex vis-a-vis Norwegians is not quite as strong as the Swedish. Why are the impoverished peoples so arrogant?
Oh, the Danes are awful when it comes to this, ha ha! All inter-Scandinavian teasing is basically good humoured, in the way brothers and sisters tease each other. But I recently heard the term 'fjell-abe' (mountain monkey) and I was like... this is actually borderline offensive, ha ha! The Danes really 'hate' the Swedes more than the Norwegians, the Norwegians reserve their most mocking jokes about Danes getting lost, falling off cliffs, skiing with their arms all over the place and shrieking in fear... the Danes are super self-deprecating in many ways so it takes the edge off a bit. I'm an udlander so there's a lot of nuance I miss, I'm sure. I could write a thesis about this (I'm sure it would be completely wrong though).

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm
randoskier wrote:
@Musk Ox

This cabin is awesome!
randoskier wrote:

Oh, the Danes are awful when it comes to this, ha ha! All inter-Scandinavian teasing is basically good humoured, in the way brothers and sisters tease each other. But I recently heard the term 'fjell-abe' (mountain monkey) and I was like... this is actually borderline offensive, ha ha! The Danes really 'hate' the Swedes more than the Norwegians, the Norwegians reserve their most mocking jokes about Danes getting lost, falling off cliffs, skiing with their arms all over the place and shrieking in fear... the Danes are super self-deprecating in many ways so it takes the edge off a bit. I'm an udlander so there's a lot of nuance I miss, I'm sure. I could write a thesis about this (I'm sure it would be completely wrong though).
Icelanders think you are all pussies! Hahaha!

Swedes not so super self-depreciating in my experience. Yet I still have many Swedish friends.

Yeah it is all good natured...even with the Finns ( a people I like very much too). I got married in Denmark and I saw the Stones there in '17.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:44 pm

Oh noes the Resia River is opening early this year...This just in from the Natl. park-

"Hello Mike, that skitour is great!

As you already know it has been quite warm days the last week and the river Reisa has opened (free of ice) some places, to be sure of having a nice trip I will not recommend to ski down the Reisa valley. Due to the ice conditions and that the snow down in the valley would be quite soft. In the higher areas, the snow is still firm.

I would suggest that you choose another route; more higher landscape. Check out some suggestions in the map enclosed".

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:39 pm

Oh my, already? That's... I don't know what to say. This winter. Oof.

Well, on the upside, the view from the plateau of the Reisa valley is literally one of the most spectacular things it's possible to see in the whole of Norway.