Nord Trondelag

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
cwild

Re: Nord Trondelag

Post by cwild » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:20 am

I am currently in Norway and considering skiing along/above the Reisa river on the Nordkalott.

Randoskier, If you are willing to share it, I would be interested in seeing that map for alternative routes that you mentioned in your exchange with Musk Ox if the snow condition is poor or non-existent in the valley. (or other spring conditions like flooding) We won't know until we get there.

I am also wondering if you can comment on how busy the nordkalott might be during easter. It seems close enough to Tromso that there could be a lot of skiers and filled huts. Any thoughts?

I have been unable to get private messages to go through, so resorting to this post. perhaps you will have better luck pm-ing me.

Thank you in advance
cwild

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:06 am

Sorry I just saw this, I returned to Italy yesterday from Finland where my latest Norwegian tour terminated. I am never on-line when I am on tours.

I can't find that map, but if you email (or call) the National Park there they will write straight back to you and send you a map and a lot of advice on conditions and routes, they are really good.

On my ski from Kirkenes to Ivalo the first days (29 March to 7 April) were all below freezing but too much new snow, sticky powder, not fun on long flats. Then it got warm up to +3. I skied a lot of snowmobile tracks. I should have taken my 210 E99s not my E88s!! Next time.

It looks like the Norwegian season is winding down.. unless a big re-feeze occurs..then it will be awesome!

Good luck! God tur!

cwild

Post by cwild » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:34 am

Thank you for this info. Currently near Kautokeino and I agree - we are chasing good snow conditions.
cwild