Cabins along the way in Norway

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Cabins along the way in Norway

Post by GrimSurfer » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:41 pm

Impressive cabin network.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:59 pm

We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:36 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:00 pm
I honestly have no idea who organizes the hut system over there…probably a question Randoskier or Theme would be able to answer better. Wish we had something along those lines in BC.
There are regional/local associations (Troms Turlag, Lofoten Turlag, etc.) under the auspices of the national association, the DNT.

We use these ones a lot https://troms.dnt.no

Edit: Roelant actually knows what he's talking about, my wife does all the booking

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:03 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am
Pop up hotel? LOL

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/igl ... index.html
A lot of complaining in that article. the man was obviously expecting a lot of luxury from sleeping In a snow house. I don't think he would like the cabins in Norway either.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:21 pm

Roelant wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:03 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am
Pop up hotel? LOL

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/igl ... index.html
A lot of complaining in that article. the man was obviously expecting a lot of luxury from sleeping In a snow house. I don't think he would like the cabins in Norway either.
Nobody complained about the animal skin rugs and blankets though. Not even the vegan. Ha ha.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:16 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:00 pm
I honestly have no idea who organizes the hut system over there…probably a question Randoskier or Theme would be able to answer better. Wish we had something along those lines in BC.
Hi Caper, Those huts in those pics are mostly maintained by the Øvre Pasvik National Park, which is on the Pasvik River which forms Norway's border with Russia (about 70° north) , I skied right down the river. Some of them are also maintained by the local communities. These were all free of charge. Most cabins open to the public are run by the Norwegian trekking association- the DNT. They have over 500 cabins, for these you pay a fee, they presently cost about $27. per person per night, you need a key to unlock them, other people can be in them as well, they are not private. All of the people I have ever met in them have been great and many friendships have been made there. Often they are empty. Check out DNT.no, a really incredible organization. In other places the local town or fjellstyre (municipal mountain association) have cabins but those rent on a per cabin basis- about $80-$120. per nigh per cabin (but they sleep 8-15 people. You have to get those keys from the local office. It is good to very detailed planning on Norway trip, both for lodging and or 4-season tent (I always carry a tent there regardless of whether we use cabins or not), transport, food, weather, and setting a route. It is a big country with a lot of wilderness and not too many people. If you need any help message me- I have been going theremultiple times a year for 14 or 15 years now (northern Sweden too).

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:22 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:12 pm
I was thinking the same thing.

Who built/maintains the cabins @Inspiredcapers ?

Nice boot cover-gators on your Alpinas. Looks like they fit very well. What brand are they?
The over-boot gaiters are Berghaus Yeti Gaiters. I leave them on all season long. They are maddening to put on and it is hard to find the proper size- Berghaus makes good stuff but is a brain dead company. Mine are un-insulated my wife has the insulated version. I find the uninsulated plenty warm and they have a rubber rise over the toes so they keep snow off the toe area of your boot. I love 'em, many people hate em.