TR: Swamp skiing in the Adirondacks: High Falls Truck Trail

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
MikeK

TR: Swamp skiing in the Adirondacks: High Falls Truck Trail

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 am

With lack of new snow, most of the trails were reported to be fast and crusty. I was concerned my wife would be terrified if I took her on anything that had any significant terrain, so we stayed low and mellow this weekend.

Saturday night dusted most of the Western Adirondacks with about 4" of fluff. The temperature had dropped from low 30's on Saturday to single digits, so we had the perfect dust over crust conditions. Was perfect skiing for the Glittertinds.

We met a young dude on his way back from High Falls on snowshoes who had spent the night out there on Saturday. He said he wished he had brought skis instead... for sure - the conditions were excellent.

Both Saturday and Sunday were blue bird days most of the time - the sun was blinding at times.

I've done canoe trips up the Oswegatchie river in the summer and it's amazing how much different northern 5 ponds looks in the winter than summer. It is much more bright and cheery in the winter. In the summer, it earns it's nickname as the heart of darkness.
Last edited by MikeK on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeK

Re: TR: Swamp skiing in the Adirondacks: High Falls Truck Tr

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

I should add this trail is so well graded (it's part of a former jeep trail and railroad bed) that even my wife called it 'boring if it weren't so pretty."

MikeK

Re: TR: Swamp skiing in the Adirondacks: High Falls Truck Tr

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 am

FWIW Sat was not a Wilderness ski - just a plain old xc ski along an old road now closed to vehicles.

http://www.newcombny.com/facilities/santanoni-preserve/

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/53095.html