Jay peak VT, February 24th 2015

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Bri7

Jay peak VT, February 24th 2015

Post by Bri7 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 pm

This morning minutes before 8h00, the thermometer was indicating -34°C in Sainte-Adèle. I did not have the courage to verify the wind chill factor.

On my way to the mountain, I listened to WBTZ (99.9 fm), the news were talking about school closure due to frozen pipes in Vermont. Wait, isn't where i'm going? Never mind... I hope Johnny's pipes are alright. He had some issues with freezing pipes ealier this year and I'm guessing he is already busy enough with the diaper's changing :) So busy, he declined my offer for a ski trip in Vermont this morning...

On its weather forecast Tom Messner was forecasting temperatures in Fahrenheit. It's probably a good thing that I'm not familiar with Fahrenheit. I know that 32°F is 0°C and that -40°F is roughly -40°C. I always assume that anything between 32°F and -40°F is somehow equivalent to -10°C...

Today Jay was celebrating Mardi Grasy. Mardi gras reflecting the practice of the last day of skiing before the Lenten season.
DSC05288 (1024x768).jpg
My last visit at Jay was in April 2012. I don't know why, I didn't visit Jay meanwhile. I do love the mountain and it's not to far from my place. The lifts are all pretty recent and the varieties of trails makes it a perfect place. They have some very nice groomed boulevards, unending bump runs and some very nice woods. The geographical location of the mountain is also very good for snow precipitations.

Even with the Mardi Gras festivities, the number of skiers on the mountain was pretty limited. Maybe they paid too much attention to the weather forecast. I had VIP parking at my arrival, few meters away form the tram. All the lifts were in operation this morning. I started my day with the tram and some bumpy trails to keep me warm.
DSC05278 (1024x768).jpg
Jay received a total of 20 inches in the last 7 days. The runs are all in a good condition with a few thin and icy spots exceptions here and there due to wind blowing.
DSC05290 (1024x768).jpg
DSC05301 (1024x768).jpg
The woods are good! If you looked carefully you could find untouched ground.
DSC05282 (1024x768).jpg
The Jet triple chair area was particularity interesting this morning; this sector wasn't exposed as much to the wind than the rest of the mountain. The classical runs, Timbuktu and U.N. Were really nice!
DSC05324 (1024x768).jpg
DSC05339 (1024x768).jpg
As soon as Johnny will get back on his skis I will have to take a closer look at this sector. It looks pretty amazing.
DSC05305 (1024x768).jpg
The beginner area is really interesting at Jay. The lift is covered up so the kids can stay warm event on cold days. Maybe Kim Love will make her first turns over there!
DSC05369 (1024x768).jpg
I left around 14h00, the legs were not able to continue. What a bad idea to do some treadmill the day before... Too bad the sun was finally coming out. I hope to see you back soon Jay. Maybe somewhere in may in the Jet's creamy bumps!
DSC05343 (1024x768).jpg

Konrad00

Re: Jay peak VT, February 24th 2015

Post by Konrad00 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 am

I never get a chance to explore the Jay peak before in my life. After reading this thread I have great wish to see this destination once in my life. After seeing the images and reading the post I am feeling it is an ideal destination to explore in winter because it offers a lot of activities to enjoy.