The Alberta XCD thread

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Lhartley

Re: The Alberta XCD thread

Post by Lhartley » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:04 pm

20240107_155950.jpg
All the skis are now rock skis. Skiing is alright though. Got some decent turns on the High Noon Hills practice slopes yesterday evening. That place is unreal in the late day sun

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 am

Thats some nice country. Is that road cleared all the way to Blue Rock during the winter?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:54 am

The road us closed at the turnoff to Sandy McNabb campground, you can tour in from there to a few nearby trailheads. Imo the best skiing around that area is in the immediate vicinity of Sandy McNabb and the Nordic center. Awesome meadows off the ridges if you get a half decent snowpack

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 pm

So anyways
Screenshot_20240112_101946_Facebook.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:02 pm

See what happens if you use red klister ;)

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:55 pm

Skiing is a challenge in this part of the country this year. We had -50 w/windchill this morning. The extended forecast is indicating +2 and rain in 7 days. I might have to add a pair of scaled skis to the arsenal, figuring out wax has been a P.I.T.A.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Skiing out in the horse pasture today doing low angle laps in pow on junk, I found I really only got glide on a ski with no wax and no pattern. Even ascending was fine with no wax whatsoever. Had polar wax on these tua wilderness (scraped as much as possible off) and they were slower than the Cho Oyu with no wax.
The fishscale guides did have advantages when doing nordic stride turns with a little kick off.
Can anyone recommend a glide wax that will be optimized for -35 to 45 degrees Celsius?
20240113_151432.jpg

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:06 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:24 pm
Skiing out in the horse pasture today doing low angle laps in pow on junk, I found I really only got glide on a ski with no wax and no pattern. Even ascending was fine with no wax whatsoever. Had polar wax on these tua wilderness (scraped as much as possible off) and they were slower than the Cho Oyu with no wax.
So you are saying you had Swix PS Polar glide wax, and that it had less glide than an unwaxed ski at those temperatures? That makes sense. If it is about hardness (in the Shore scale sense) at those temperatures, the polyethylene base would be harder. I wonder if an ABS base ski would be even better (no downsides to ABS here since you don't need wax absorption or mitigating surface tension).

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:19 pm

No glide, just polar grip wax from previous use. It was pretty thoroughly scraped.

Was out again yesterday in warmer Temps and a bit of fresh snow, no more sticking issues. Nice conditions in foothills County tight now. Just my luck that I have a coolant leak and am dealing with cars instead of hitting the hills

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:58 am

Lhartley wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:19 pm
No glide, just polar grip wax from previous use. It was pretty thoroughly scraped.
Yeah, Swix V05 Polar kick wax is good maybe down to -27°C; at -30°C it is too sticky. Lowangle Al recommended using straight pine tar. I tried Rex Universal Tar kick wax, that worked much better past -30°C:

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5370

Ski construction seems to make a really big difference when it comes to glide at low temperatures. Fischer TN66 is the best ski I have for temperatures below -25°C. Expedition skis like Åsnes Amundsen and Ousland probably work better too.

I have yet to figure out glide wax.