The Alberta XCD thread

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Lhartley

Re: The Alberta XCD thread

Post by Lhartley » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:31 am

That could be the case. Maybe a misunderstanding of words. Although I did my ast training at fortress so really it doesn't take much

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:24 pm

Soooo- gotta see family in Edmonton/Spruce Grove next weekend (November 26ish) and thinking of heading back south via highway 22 or 20…any decent skiing (and snow) to be had between Edmonton and Calgary going either route?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:11 am

Sandy Mcnabb and West Bragg Creek Nordic Ski areas are both just off hiway 22, but no snow in those areas. If you go about half hour west into Kananaskis west of Longview though you can hit up Peter Lougheed, it is skiable and decent conditions are being reported.

https://www.nordic-pulse.com/ski-areas/ ... ncial-Park.

Going a bit further west on the Transcanda, the Great Divide and Moraine Lake Road are both trackset.

Up to date info can be found on the ski group "Cross Country Skiing YYC" on Facebook

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:43 am

A popular early season trailhead is in the Highwood pass called "the back door".

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nojBBRbVNJ17yVfQ9

Kananaskis Fire Lookout via Tyrwhitt Trail on AllTrails
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/ ... ?sh=zc1lor

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:11 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ter.SkiYYC

Here's an app that shows various cross country ski areas and their conditions. Even had a dog 🐕 icon if dogs are permitted, pretty decent app

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 pm

50 bucks to ski 2 hours at Winsport, unreal. God, please let it snow. Skiing Cascade fire trail tomorrow

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:54 pm

Fernie isn’t really in Alberta although one might think so due to influx of those Red n’ White license plates every weekend but there’s finally some decent snow going Coal Creek direction. Had the Natos out for awhile today- waxing was a challenge (forgot to bring x skins). I think it’s more suitable for MR48 Skin ski at these moderate temperatures…

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:23 pm

Long shot but I'm looking to quickly demo gammes and/or nansens (195+) in the calgary area, have all sorts of gear to offer in exchange. I want these skis eventually to replace stuff I use currently in order to standardize my kicker skin system, and really want to be very sure about size. Thanks!

(Edit:Norsemans only rents MR48s which I have x2)

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:03 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:23 pm
Long shot but I'm looking to quickly demo gammes and/or nansens (195+) in the calgary area, have all sorts of gear to offer in exchange. I want these skis eventually to replace stuff I use currently in order to standardize my kicker skin system, and really want to be very sure about size. Thanks!
Man, this seems like a brilliant idea — meet up and try other people’s skis!
I would take you up on that in a heartbeat.
Too bad the gene pool is so thin and the Petri dish so wide — hard to cross-pollenate.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:08 pm

Stephen wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:03 pm
Lhartley wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:23 pm
Man, this seems like a brilliant idea — meet up and try other people’s skis!
I would take you up on that in a heartbeat.
Too bad the gene pool is so thin and the Petri dish so wide — hard to cross-pollenate.
Brilliant idea, or the pleas of a desperate man trying to optimize his quiver. I was watching "tahoe trail guide" discuss his skis, and he had them all lined up and they were all the same length "ish". It's just not that simple for me, I have preferences all over the place for different conditions, and I'm a dirtbag so I buy used at a discount. The struggle is real