The Alberta XCD thread

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Lhartley

Re: The Alberta XCD thread

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:09 am

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to go chasing the rabbit on wax, that seems reasonable and I wanted to try the Rex Universal for sure. I didn't really even have a problem with grib, it was glide I'm looking for. I was not able to descend with significant speed some of the low angle slopes I regularly ski and that's my issue.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:12 am

I'm hitting up Nipika mid next week, any beta on what to bring? Looks like all track set skiing on pretty well maintained trails, I'm thinking just mr48 or e99? There's no off trail stuff or opportunities for turns?

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:33 pm

Been wanting to try Nipika, are you staying overnight or doing the day pass? Looks like MR48 waxer heaven…I’m thinking my MR48 skin would be great too. Wonder if they’d let The Green Man on their trails?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:21 pm

We will be skiing one day at Nipika. Then a night at Radium to hit the Hots Springs. Then either another day at Nipika or possibly a backcountry tour on the 93 south somewhere, likely Boom Lake area. Gonna Bring MR48 wax and G3 findr xcd I think.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:53 am

Sounds like a great getaway. Theres several places on that stretch of Highway 93 I’ve wanted to explore on skis…I drove it one morning after a major snowstorm before the plows got on it, very memorable drive.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 am

I did two days at Nipika, a 10km ski on the south section and then a 15km tour on the North section. Very nice grooming and it's beautiful valley with protected snow form wimd effect etc. It's a great nordic center for classic and skate skiing although not really much opportunity for xcd I could see. It was good rolling terrain, you could have fun all day as long as you aren't looking for turns in fresh snow. What it definitely is though is a ski dog paradise. Dogs everywhere, dogs in the lodge even. Very laissez-faire ski area. Would Def go back. #notAlberta but kinda Alberta, I love Eastern BC

*edit is there mods here still? Can we put this in trip reports instead?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:54 pm

Woke up to the snow Re-up in Foothills County today so went out Sandy Mcnabb for a quick xcD tour. Was able to link up runs in three different gullys on Long Prairie Ridge. I love that place on a snow day. It's laughable that nearly zero people tour for turns there. Probably got more turns than anyone skiing the Smith Dorien today and only invested 3 hours out of the day. ❤️xcD

Boo to Alberta Parks though, did not see the plow truck until 330 pm. Thought the Serpentine Belt on my lifted Jetta was going to exit the chat
20240204_151731.jpg

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:05 pm

Unicorn conditions in the Sheep. Pow on supportive crust wtf, is this that climate change stuff? High Noon Hills practice slopes
20240303_132111.jpg
20240303_132604.jpg
Ran into another telemarker there too, that never happens. And he was shredding hard on superloops. Awesome day in the foothills

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:55 pm

Went back to the sheep today and skied "Wolf Creek Hill". I've scouted a few times and this south facing exposed slope gets melted almost immediately in Chinook winds. It's very strange to see it skiable with powder on a sturdy supportive crust. I wonder if it's a first descent? There's so little info on ski ascents of the foothills in Alberta. If I had the time and resources I'd pursue a simple guide book for touring for turns in the east slopes of Albera. The alpine looked like this today:
Screenshot_20240303_194754.jpg
I skied my face off all weekend with no worries and no crowds. I love xcd
20240303_170020.jpg

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:10 pm

LOL

Urban avalanche MIN Nose Hill Calgary
Screenshot_20240307_160708_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240307_160717_Chrome.jpg