Day trip to Lake O'Hara, Yoho NP, Canada

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Weegie

Day trip to Lake O'Hara, Yoho NP, Canada

Post by Weegie » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 pm

Hello,

This is my first post so thought I would share my trip from yesterday, Dec 9.

[
In summer you have either the option of taking the bus which is, as far as I am aware, based on a lottery, or walking. No bikes allowed and no private vehicles, I assume this is to reduce visitor numbers at this spectular location. In winter the facility is closed and access road blocked via locked gate. At the lake there are a number of small log cabins that you can rent for accomodation with the larger dining lodge. There is also a tent only campsite and the Apline Club of Canada hut.

I departed the parking lot at 7am and noted only 1 other car. Starting elevation of 1590m. Weather was -20c with no wind and fairly clear skies.
Snow base was around 60cm. It had snowed maybe the day before. There was fresh trackset from previous skiers from the day before, so I used these the majority of the time.

On the way up the 11km route there are km markers indicating distance travelled. At 5km there are a couple of picnic benches to rest and apprecitate the views. I had packed both short skins and full skins and didn't require either on the steeper sections of the climb.

[imghttps://i.imgur.com/4f712Ha.jpg][/img]

By the 6km marker the sun was rising and headlamp was no longer required.

[
No avalanche risk on the way up with the exception of one possible chute where there is a bridged river crossing, maybe around the 7km mark.

At around the 8km mark on one of the steeper sections I came across the couple that were descending having stayed the night at the ACC hut. They advised that they were the only ones that stayed the night.

I reached the lake at 10.20am, with my original plan to loop the lake and then visit the ACC Hut. The snow base at the lake was around 1.5 -2m, so my plan around the lake was abandoned after trying to cut a new track.

[img][/

I rested at the closed day lodge and had some food then headed of the check out the ACC Hut, which is around 500m from the cluster of log cabins. Elevation is around 2050M.

By this point the skies had clouded over and winds were picking up. Few photos later then headed back to the cabins and started my descent.

The winds steadily increased blowing spindrift from the trees reducing visiblity at times at a lower level.

I returned to the parking lot at 1.30pm with air temp of -11c.

185 Asnes Ingstad waxless with Alpina Alaskans.

Weegie

Re: Day trip to Lake O'Hara, Yoho NP, Canada

Post by Weegie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:04 am

Park Ranger cabin
[

Approaching ACC Hut

[

View from the ACC Hut

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:39 pm

That’s my kinda terrain and just a few hours away, awesome first post.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:38 pm

Can't wait to do this one someday, long approach keeps it quiet in the winter. Such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing