Looking for the ultimate XCD ski pole

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Looking for the ultimate XCD ski pole

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:36 am

athabascae wrote:
What are folks using? What do you like and don't like for XCD?

Thanks.

Tom
I did the Traverse mod mentionned earlier. Its great for touring. Bought an extra pair of the bottoms halfs direct from Black Diamond so that I can switch to downhill baskets when I go to a resort.

I really appreciate telescopic poles when touring baccountry. I adjust them to to snow depth, on steep uphill and traverses. If that is not important to you, the Swix Mountain is a GREAT pole too.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm just using the cheapest Black Diamond single telescoping poles out there. I actually bought them as hiking poles but wound up using them for skiing.

They seem fine to me. They could be stiffer, if I get off balance and slip and put a lot of weight on one, I can buckle the bottom portion a bit. No permanent damage though.

Personally, I like having the length adjustment. I use different lengths depending on what I'm skiing on and the terrain i.e. when I need maximum stability I set them so they sink in with my elbow at a right angle, when I want maximum push and climb I go to about a 75-80 deg elbow angle with the pole vertical. And they always sink different depending on the snow type, so I adjust for that.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 pm

I have not tested a wide range of poles...

My wife and I each have two sets of backcountry poles:
1) Black Diamond, double-telescoping, trekking poles (can't remember which model); that we use for skiing, hiking/trekking, and mountaineering.
2) Komperdell BC trail: http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/tour ... 84_2411_83

The Black Diamonds are more versatile...but I much prefer the Komperdell's for skiing. My Komperdells have literally thousands of kilometres on them...

Can't say much about pole technology- I have been so content with what we have that I haven't researched it further.

But I can say that I too prefer a telescoping pole for backcountry skiing in variable terrain- with some vertical.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:18 am

As much as I like the idea of the Swix Mountain pole, you guys have convinced me that adjustable are probably the way to go. (I knew that, I just wanted the Swix Mountain poles, even though they are one piece...).

I have some old Leki two-piecers I gave one of my boys for skiing/snowshoeing... and too bad my MSR adjustables trekking poles only go to 140 cm - I prefer 150 cm for XC when conditions allow... Guess I need new poles ;)

I particularly like the cork, nordic-shaped grip on the Fischer poles below. Same as on the Swix Mountain poles. My first love is fly-fishing and I love the warmth and grip of cork when you have cold, wet hands. More importantly, I really like the nordic-shaped grips, rather than the more alpine or trekking style handles found on most of the backcountry poles.

These Komperdell BC Trail poles look good!
komperdell-trail-bc-2016.jpg
...as do these Leki Tour Vario...
tourVario_full.jpg
...and these Fischer BC Variolite.
apiac7d28c7366d4c64aef2cefc7c8836c5.jpg

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:04 am

athabascae wrote:As much as I like the idea of the Swix Mountain pole, you guys have convinced me that adjustable are probably the way to go.
Notice how all your choices have alpine style tips. Only the komberdell has a XC style basket. Hence, the mods. If you are planning a 2 ski quiver, you might also consider a 2 pole quiver!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:05 am

Thanks bgregoire. Good point about the baskets. I've always used alpine baskets on my BC poles and never really thought about it... Something to consider.

Anyone try the Asnes sectional poles? I'm afraid to ask what they would cost if bought in North America :shock:

http://www.asnes.com/produkt/vidda-turstav/

Freefix

Post by Freefix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:45 pm

I've been using $5 yardsale polls ever since my old carbonfiber Voile's broke.

I stick with aluminium because it's a bit more durable (and more reasonably priced).

I've been pretty happy with K2's Lockjaw poles. The basket is well sized, the tips seem to work well, I like being able to adjust the length for up/down, and the locking mechanism is adjustable so you can manually tighten the clamps if they start to loosen or anything (no troubles yet). The grips are comfortable, and they come with an oversized extended grip so you can quickly change your grip position without adjusting pole length. The slope meter is pretty useless, but I didn't even know it had one until they showed up.

Still use $5 fixed length poles for resort days. The older, uglier, and more kinks they have in them the better.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am

Not my dream poles, because they are very low quality ones, but customized to my needs. Specs:

- Deblackdiamonized 155cm Traverse poles

- Custom 6" powder baskets for deep fluff and custom 3/4 baskets for on-piste climbing

- Kerma releasable straps, a wrist saver. So if your pole gets stuck between trees, you won't lose your arm.

- Camera mounting screw for aerial views, but the bolt is also used to de-ice 3p bindings

Now all I need is to install a small ski scraper on top of the other pole...
_IMG_1002.jpg
_IMG_0998.jpg
_IMG_1003.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Well it took me a year. Finally, my 2.5 XCD pole quiver:

1)Black Diamond Traverse with an extra set of lower sections.
-The handles have been trimmed to improve K&G hand movement.
-The plastics grips have been brought up to rhe handles to extend the effective handle area and prevent cold transfer from aluminum to hands.
-one pair of lower sections with cut of tip and glued leather articulated baskets and sharp ferrule tips: for general backcountry touring and XCD in fluff.
-one pair of lower sections with original lower sections for resort skiing and perhaps also XCD on hardpack. Also useful as spares!

2)Basic 145m alumimum poles. ferrules replaced with articulated baskets with sharp tips. extra long straps (w/ the colors of sweden!) with clips to adjust tightness according to the size of my (sometimes very big) mitts. This pair is used on speedy outings when i want to minimize weight and when the landscape is mostly flat. (I still need to wrap some foam below the handle to extent it. This will allow me to loosen the straps and reduce the effetive length of the pole by 5 or 10 cm if ever necessary (had it on my previous pair, works well).
poles - 2.jpg
poles - 1.jpg

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Sun May 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I've had the BD Traverse for a few years with the same issues as everyone else. I've already replaced one lower section, now I just need to do the tip mod mentioned above. I only use them for cruising and breaking trail though. Even at 155, they're too short for effective xc skiing on anything remotely hardpacked for me(6'3").

I have an old set of 165 xc poles that I like much better for xc focused, hardpacked backcountry, especially if there's a significant amount of snowmobile trail involved, which is common up here. I added road bike synthetic cork handlebar tape to them, extending about a foot below the grip, to give me a few different hand positions. They're lighter than the Traverse poles, which is a benefit on 10+ hour ski days.
12339601_10206918105568445_946188033052443488_o.jpg