Flower Power and other Random Shit

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Downgrading for Downhill

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 pm

lowangle al wrote: Being an underachiever in your career or diy projects around the house is one thing, but I just can't condone it in recreational pursuits.
??

This a joke or a symptom of living in "Expertville"? ;)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:22 pm

I certainly hoped it had some humor to it, but I don't think it's good to have an upper limit to how good you want to get, just let it happen naturally. You never know what the future holds.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Cliffy, I never thought I'd make it to Expertville. It was a long road that could have been a lot shorter if I had been getting good advice on the internet.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:30 pm

lowangle al wrote:Being an underachiever in your career or diy projects around the house is one thing, but I just can't condone it in recreational pursuits.
Hahahaha. This is quality humor!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 pm

That's just how I roll man...

I could have been a rocket scientist for NASA, I shit you not... wasn't in the cards for me.

My friends used to tell me I would marry a supermodel... I have no idea why? I love my wife, but she's no super model.

I can afford to live in a much nicer neighborhood that I live in, but I don't feel the need. I actually despise the place where most of the people I work with live.

I don't have a lot of friends or fancy things. The things I have that are 'fancy' most people can't comprehend.

I'm a weird fuckin' guy. Not many people get me. I do what I do. My way is the right way and if you don't like it, piss off. I kind of look normal but I'm not. Never have been. I often have to have talks with my boss because I'm this way.

I guess the point is, I never force anything. If I'm not having fun doing it, I won't. Doesn't matter what I could be or should have been.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 pm

lowangle al wrote:Cliffy, I never thought I'd make it to Expertville. It was a long road that could have been a lot shorter if I had been getting good advice on the internet.
Hahaha... this is quality humor!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I emerged from the woods & marshes last year to go to a ski area in my XCD gear. The magical feeling of freedom and wilderness was gone! I felt like an Indian forced onto the reservation. Plus it was icy. I got bored on the lift. I like the idea of building leg strength on the uphills while touring, that helps technique too. It may take longer to get to Expertville, but I'm enjoying the trip.

Those old Karhus sound great - we need a picture. It is difficult to find a wider ski today without accepting a big sidecut. I guess the Sbounds are closest, but no waxing version.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Cannatonic wrote:The magical feeling of freedom and wilderness was gone! I felt like an Indian forced onto the reservation. Plus it was icy.
This resonates with me deeply man.
I got bored on the lift. I like the idea of building leg strength on the uphills while touring, that helps technique too. It may take longer to get to Expertville, but I'm enjoying the trip.
Words of wisdom.
Those old Karhus sound great - we need a picture. It is difficult to find a wider ski today without accepting a big sidecut. I guess the Sbounds are closest, but no waxing version.
Here! Here!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm

MikeK wrote:I can afford to live in a much nicer neighborhood that I live in, but I don't feel the need. I actually despise the place where most of the people I work with live.
Living below your means is one the most important things you can do to achieve happiness and it may even help your skiing someday.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:44 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Cannatonic wrote:The magical feeling of freedom and wilderness was gone! I felt like an Indian forced onto the reservation. Plus it was icy.
This resonates with me deeply man.

I feel the same way, thats why I said it is a sacrafice.