Rossi BC X12 boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Rossi BC X12 boot

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:17 pm

I have a pair, skied them yesterday for the first time.

For me, they fit like a glove with a thicker insole. I really like the lateral stiffness. I feel that the sole is a little too soft for the lateral stiffness-- it's the same sole as the BC X6, which I think pairs better with the lack of lateral support. Basically, the lateral support makes me lazy, and the sole isn't torsionally stiff enough to support my laziness, and I lose ski control, especially on the back ski. My Antarctics are stiffer in the sole, but floppier on the sides, so I make sure I'm on my feet and on my BOF, especially.

Anyone else have these? Thoughts? Am I way off base? I'm not a great tele skier.

MikeK

Re: Rossi BC X12 boot

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Sounds a lot like how the Svartisen 75mm boot is.

I think you should just stick with it, you'll get used to the sole flex, and you might actually like it for the touring aspect. Might also be how you are approaching telemarking, but you may find you like the stiff sole/soft upper better, but you should be able to ski pretty well with both. One may lend itself to certain types of snow or skis. For instance, you may find the soft sole/stiff upper easier to ski in powdery snow where the ski just really follows your knee and a little bit of flex down low doesn't bother the edging as much. And perhaps on harder snows you'll favor a stiffer sole to keep your edge better.

Part of booting for me is figuring out the techniques that work best on each, what skis they work best with, what type of skiing they favor i.e. more touring or more turning and what snow they can handle. In an ideal world you'd be able to ski just as well on any of them if you match it up right to what you have taught yourself.

Anyway, being lazy isn't a bad thing. That's easy to fix. Feeling comfortable in and with the boots/skis is more important IMO. Once you feel what you can do, the rest is just execution. I'm sure you'll find limits where you just really don't like certain boots/skis etc...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Rossi boots (way to narrow for me).

Rossi BC X12
ONECOL.jpg
I've had a good look at them in shop and "squished" them too though!

Now, the Rossi BC X6 is an NNN BC boot,
index.jpg
and its sole flex/stiffness will be comparable to most NNN BC boot soles (and have the same downhill limitations NNN does with regards to 3pins). The Rossi BC X12 has the stiffest sole of all currently made 75mm NON-norwegian stitch or NON-plastic boots that I know of (i've pretty much seen them all). It's sole is actually quite stiffer than its predecessor the BC X11.
ONECOL2.jpg
The BC X11 is a boot that I would avoid, too floppy a sole in comparison to its lateral support and not a durable boot.

The BC X12 exoskeleton is quite well made and I'm even under the impression its actually made of carbon fiber, so lots of lateral support. Unfortunately, if the sole stiffness is not to your liking, only the norwegian welted ones or something like an plastic excursion will be better (in currently made options).

The Rossis, like all currently made non norwegian stitch or plastic boots also have really soft tongues. They all seem to optimize K&G. The lateral stiffness helps with control on the down but its not enough...unless your a really good skier.

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, but If you can get your hands on a Karhu XCD Descent (RIP)
karhu.jpg
or a single clip norwegian welt leather boot (Alico Teletour, also RIP),
teletour1.jpg
you will have a more all-round (more than) mid-stiff NON-plastic boot IMO.

In the end though, it really depends on what your looking for (you skiing style) and the experience you gain with your setup. You might not like them now, but with more practice teleing with stiffer boots, you might come back to them and find they are great!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 pm

I wonder if tele-ing with the soft boot will make the stiff boot/plastic boot seem easy-peasey. Start tough, go for the training wheels, rock out.

Mike, thanks for the perspective thoughts, I didn't think about that. I will definitely hang on to them.

I have the BC X10 for my NNN-BC... they blow the 6 out of the water. (your picture is actually the 10... the 6 has a lower and weaker ankle cuff that's pretty much just cosmetic and useless, all power through the sole) I absolutely love the X10, they are perfect. HIGHLY recommended. Stiffer upper than the 6, great sole. I wish they made this in a 3 pin.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Woodserson wrote:I wonder if tele-ing with the soft boot will make the stiff boot/plastic boot seem easy-peasey. Start tough, go for the training wheels, rock out.
You might have figured my point of view already, but given the choice, i'd start with stiff boots and progress to softer.

...or go back and forth given the conditions your skiing, which is what i do.

(the stiffer the boot, the wider the ski you can drive in gnarlier conditions)

Your right about the 6 & 10, mixed them up, they look quite similar if you are not attentive. I stick when the rest of what i said though. Happy tele-ing.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:43 am

What skis are you using with these BTW woods? 98s? Just a guess... but I would think the 98 + BCX11 + 3 pin would be bliss on untracked powder (not that we have any of that this year). I'd probably agree with you that it wouldn't be ideal on icy groomers.

I'd probably take the 78 or 88 with that Antarctic and really work on my balance and carving the rear ski. I find the 78s are really hard to bend, even for me @ 200lbs. I have to put a lot of weight on it to really get it to go. Of course, the floppier you boot, the harder it will be to get it to dig in and stay on edge. A stiff sole makes sense here.

Anyway, for those narrow S Bounds, just keep your balance and ride the skis... that's my best advice. You'll feel their sweet spot.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 am

I was on the stiffer Outtabounds with the BC X12 boot with thick loose granular and boilerplate. I'm going back today with the Antarctics and the bindings scootched up to the recommended point for boot size as described by the Australian dude in that other thread.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 am

Hmm - yeah stiff ski might like more sole stiffness too. I forgot you had those ones...

Anyway, the conditions sound less than ideal. I wouldn't expect too much. Maybe once it warms up a bit and you get some softening of the glaciers those skis might come to life a bit more.

I skied a little bit of icy crap with my S78s and I could barely keep them hooked up. I'd turn in and lose the rear ski and skid like crazy.

Really I think I found the ideal conditions for each of the two S Bounds I have. 78 = corn. 98 = heavy east coast pow. In either of these snows I had the biggest smile on my face and the easiest time skiing them.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:30 am

Woodserson wrote:I was on the stiffer Outtabounds with the BC X12 boot with thick loose granular and boilerplate. I'm going back today with the Antarctics and the bindings scootched up to the recommended point for boot size as described by the Australian dude in that other thread.
Make sure you give us a report on how the ski performance changed with you moving the binding forward to better suit your BOF (were they at balance point before?)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:38 am

Woodserson wrote: I have the BC X10 for my NNN-BC... they blow the 6 out of the water. (your picture is actually the 10... the 6 has a lower and weaker ankle cuff that's pretty much just cosmetic and useless, all power through the sole) I absolutely love the X10, they are perfect. HIGHLY recommended. Stiffer upper than the 6, great sole. I wish they made this in a 3 pin.
Great to hear your perspective on the BCX10. I always wondered whether I should have bought them instead of the BCX6 (2009). We have a few pairs of the BCX6 (get em for $100CAN on clearance)- my kids love them- but I find they have too little support for me (my kids are beginning to make me look old!)

The Ross last fits my feet well.

It is VERY strange that Rossi chose to make a BCX676 instead of the BCX1075?

Hmmm...I wonder where the BCX10 fits in the NNNBC world? Is it like the Alaska/Stetind/Quest Advance(?) or is it more like the Svartisen/Fischer BCX6?

I can get the BCX10 on clearance in the spring for less than $150CAN...may be I should be trying that before I fork over the cash for a Svartisen?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.