Asnes Gamme 54

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
anrothar

Asnes Gamme 54

Post by anrothar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 am

I only have one ski on these, so I'll be updating this as I go.

Skier: 6'3", 220 dressed, Mostly non-competitive, distance focused nordic backcountry experience.

Setup: Gamme in 210, bought from SportAlbert, so in theory they chose appropriate ones for my weight, since they ask on the form. AT toepiece and chopped boot setup.

Conditions: 20" base. Very warm temps yesterday moistened up the base, followed by 6" of fairly high moisture content snow overnight. All singletrack with varying levels of use since the 6" fell. Some unused, some just one skier had passed, some had a few walkers and one skier pass, some just walkers.

Wax: Scuffed up a short kick zone lightly with sandpaper, then sprayed one layer of Toko Red Grip Spray, which is somewhere between klister and wax, but closer to klister. Followed with two layers of Toko yellow hard wax. I should have brought Yellow Grip Spray. I think the snow was just a little too warm/wet for the yellow hard wax. Grip was sufficient on the flats, but uphill I had to basically run/walk with the skis instead of getting any real kick. Wasn't bad enough to make my try anything different, even though I had a slightly warmer Swix hard wax in my bag

The skiing was fantastic. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the snow, but it was like skiing on silk. The skis were fast on the flats and downhills, turned well on the downhills and broke trail great on the flats and downhills. It was a really pleasurable outing. I expected the Gamme to be noticeably slower than the Mountain Race 48 and Pellestova, but I really can't imagine they would be much, if at all faster in those conditions. I can't wait to get more time on these skis. I think I'm going to take them out again tomorrow morning.

The balance point on Gamme is about 1" forward of the MR 48(and Pellestova). I expected to have less of a wax pocket than those two, but my wax pocket was the same after the @8 miles as before. I still expect there to be a noticeable difference on hardpack in the wax pocket, but for now I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of double camber it has.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Asnes Gamme 54

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

These babies sound a lot like the current E-99 Tour Easy-Skin that I have. The construction at least appears to be more rugged and durable with the Gamme 54.

Your report on being surprised at how fast they are also reminds me of the current E-99.

This class of ski still is an efficient distance-oriented BC ski. The bit of extra width, softer flex makes them more stable and manageable on highly variable terrain and fresh, soft snow- compared to a narrower, stiffer ski...

This class of ski fits the terrain and snow conditions of my distance-focused BC skiing.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I think the cool thing about these is the BP position. It's at chord center instead of 1-2 inches behind it, which is where E99's balance. Should make it feel easier to turn while also being balanced for K&G

I want to try a 35mm skin or cut a 45mm short and see if I can get decent K&G on spring snow without needing klister.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

HBS

Post by HBS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 pm

FWIW I cut off about 2" on my 45mm asnes nylon skins on my nansens and get great grip on spring snow but the drag is pretty rough. Thinking I might cut another inch off...

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 pm

If my nylons don't get a little faster as they wear in, I'm just going to replace the nylon with mohair or a mohair mix. You can buy a variety of skin material from these guys by the cm: http://skimo.co/skin-parts