New Moderator

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: New Moderator

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 pm

First, I think the new moderator will be very different from our previous moderator, in the sense that the previous moderator dedicated quite a bit of time to this forum. He always tried to make new posters feel welcome very soon after the first post. He kept topics rolling through the summer months, the slow build up to ski season in the fall. While the forum will move to a new moderator, so it seems, the previous moderator's dedication will become notable and missed. Hopefully he will find the site enjoyable as "one of the guys"
I can think of a man I would nominate, however he has kids, pigs, and chickens. I don't think he is in an office with a computer daily and not sure if he would be interested. If somebody knows him personally, maybe they could ask.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 pm

To keep this alive, and after a round of looking up stuff I'm interested in - how about lilcliffy, or alpendrms? I'm coming up with these possibilities as both appear very active , involved, and experienced. 'Course that doesn't mean they have any aspirations to be a moderator, understandably.

Grant, or RobRox, you guys still around? Carry the banner of the old guard "elders"?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:33 am

>>>I don't think he is in an office with a computer daily

sounds perfect, the best "volunteer" is someone who isn't around to decline the "invitation" :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 am

I nominate LJ to moderate. It's his forum.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:36 am

connyro wrote:I nominate LJ to moderate. It's his forum.
That's a good idea, but he's probably too busy skiing. :D

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Okay, some thoughts...

I was a member of the old, Mitch Telemark Tips. It had a lot of info for hard core telemarkers, and it was definitely a community, with lots of active members, but it was also full of hateful trolls ready to do their troll hate at the drop of a dime. And many of these trolls were probably less than cutting edge skiers. They were just bored haters, long on skiing opportunity but short on internet access. So, that being my claim, the forum in regard to trolls is much better, and we owe that to Mike. But...

There seems to be a distinction between the die-hard downhilling telemarker and the person who is XC. Not that one is superior to the other, but to the person looking to talk the best skis to ski steep ice and the person looking for the NNN turn, our worlds are very different. Telemark Tips today seems to try and cater to the XC up, lite telemark down crowd. And that is fine, but it seems that to draw more membership there needs to be two separate forums.

Frankly, despite the fact a lot of telemarkers who were trend seekers jumped ship, selling their soul to the AT trend, there are still a lot of us who do as strictly what the term "telemark" implies, meaning our interest is in the downhill turn using a free-healed ski. Maybe it would do the forum some good to separate the XC from the purely telemark and to have two different moderators concerning.

That is my two cents.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm

The only reason the forum seems slanted to nordic touring is because "heavy" telemarkers don't make enough posts or start discussions. Can't you just skip nordic touring threads? Is it offensive to the ego to see XCDer's having fun? Aren't we being a bit fussy, for a sport that's getting grey and old.

I'm excited to see any interest in free-heel skiing, we need new people to sustain gear manufacturing. I like learning about the areas of the sport in which I'm not currently participating.

Tele seems to inspire religous-type devotions and feelings, and the associated xenophobic parochialism. I'm baffled by the way people absolutely rage at each other for liking different types of bindings. I just haven't seen that in snowboarding or alpine skiing. Maybe it's from getting old, I've seen so many different trends come and go. I've got closets full of XC, snowbard, alpine, tele gear, snowshoes, leather, plastic, etc.

But overall if there's negativity to posting about one type of skiing, or posting too many pictures, or too much enthusiasm, pretty soon you'll have an empty forum with tumbleweeds blowing through. It's already happening.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Cannatonic wrote:But overall if there's negativity to posting about one type of skiing, or posting too many pictures, or too much enthusiasm, pretty soon you'll have an empty forum with tumbleweeds blowing through. It's already happening.

In all fairness, a moderator shrieking profanities at members and expressing their desire to ban people because they hold silly internet grudges has the negative effect of keeping conversation and membership at a minimum. IMO, this forum needs very little moderation other than taking the trash out occasionally.

The Lovely Bear

Post by The Lovely Bear » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:01 pm

connyro wrote: In all fairness, a moderator shrieking profanities at members and expressing their desire to ban people because they hold silly internet grudges has the negative effect of keeping conversation and membership at a minimum. IMO, this forum needs very little moderation other than taking the trash out occasionally.
Then step up, slim.

Harris

Post by Harris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Whoa Cattatonic... There was nothing in my post to warrant your "ego" remark. NOTHING! That said you need to can that crap.

That brings me to my next subject...

So what inspired your rant? Seems you have a contempt for telemarkers who aren't XC guys. Ironic. And that is why I made the suggestion I did, even if I didn't spell it out. It isn't my ego man, but it damn sure was your's that was tripped. I don't care who or what or why anyone free heels, seriously, but I stepped away from the old Telemark Tips years ago and when I returned it seems dominated by a much smaller XC and NNN crowd, which is fine, but what baffles me is the very angst some posters like you harbor against a very large segment of the more specific downhill free heel community, which is why I made the to suggestion to create separate forums, hoping in the process it might invite back a community that is largely now absent. There are some of the XC delegation like you in this forum who seem intent on running off... telemarkers. WTF? Am I mistaken on the title of this forum?
Last edited by Harris on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.