Telemark Skimo racing (was: 3-pin Racing)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
iBjorn

Re: 3-pin Racing

Post by iBjorn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:20 am

Missed a few races due to work assignment this spring, but am now preparing for the last race of the season which will be a sprint solo race. Quite happy with the gear, but the new version of the T4 is a little too soft for handling the Fischer Transalp 80s off-pist. It is skiable but just a tad more support would have been great, ie the old T4 liner would have been perfect.

The new T4 liners is however, very comfortably. The biggest difference between the Atomic/rottefella and Fischer/litedogz setup is in handling and transitions, as well as, in flat sections (k&g and skating) were the lighter Atomics shine. On the uphill the difference is marginal. Should I go for a single set-up today, i would problably go for the slightly skinnier/lighter Transalp 75s @ 170cm with Voile 3-pin cables (without riser). The 75 is also a bit stiffier , so I would think it would be a usable resort ski also.

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

Cannatonic wrote:>>>*3-pins are one of the most (the most?) efficient bindings in the transitions of a skimo race
Note sure about that. I'd say 3pins are the worst case for skimo racing.

Ice building up in pins holes underfoot restricting you from getting back in your 3 pins bindings after a bootpack section: not cool.

After transitioning in 3 minutes of boots knocking, fighting with little rabbit's ice poop that won't drop, I'd rather stay below 30 seconds, stepping in a ntn (or Dy#@%it) thing.

Are there really folks skimo racing with 3 pins?

IMO this is impossible. Unless there is no bootpack.

But skimo racing is super fun! :D

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:49 am

the holes clogging sounds plausible, but it's never happened to me. I just whack my poles against the duckbill a few times and it goes right in. I guess if you hiked through melt/freeze temps something terrible could happen. The Antarctic are great for hiking on snow, the roccacia (sp?) block sole bites in well, the uppers are basically the exact same as a premium hiking boot. Kicking your toes in a steep slope is easier with hard boots obviously.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

The Lovely Bear

Post by The Lovely Bear » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 pm

ive-never-had-50rz0u.jpg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:09 pm

Never had my pin holes clog up either, but I don't do much walking out there.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm

One problem I did have from booting up a maybe 100 yard stretch of a steep narrow trail was that the soles split at the pin line. There was a crack that went right across the pin holes all the way across the sole making the boots unskiable. The really weird thing was that my wifes boots did the same thing at the same time. We had to get both pairs resoled, which was a good idea anyway for old well used boots.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Ant01ne wrote:Are there really folks skimo racing with 3 pins?
Probably very few. I suspect that's because (1) it's not as efficient/fast on the down (unless you make only alpine turns and then why not have an alpine binding) and (2) it's not as efficient on the up -- there's more resistance / less ROM compared to a Dynafit toe piece.

Don't get me wrong, I love the telemark turn and don't own any alpine or AT gear because I can make perfectly acceptable alpine turns in my tele gear, even in icy shit and steep terrain. I also don't skimo race because I'm functionally allergic to spandex and using "skimo" as part of my vernacular. :)

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I would like to point out that I do this for fun, to trim my equipment as well as my technique.
I also thought that it might be of value for someone that I shared my experience of this, but I am not sure on that anymore.
Ant01ne wrote: Note sure about that. I'd say 3pins are the worst case for skimo racing.
YMMV. I was faster in the transitions than most of the dynafiddlers in the race I participated in, my performance on the uphill and downhill is another story although I ended up at place 22 (of 31)

Ant01ne wrote:Ice building up in pins holes underfoot restricting you from getting back in your 3 pins bindings after a bootpack section: not cool.
Get your point, might happen, and be a nightmare when the conditions is right (soft wet snow, temperature around freezing point). Had some issues with clogged pin holes when I went back to 3-pins in 2007 (Telebulldogs back then, although not skimo racing). But after I modified the pin holes by drilling them deeper - I haven't any issues with snow/ice after that. Wet mud is another story... I have considered to test to drill pilot holes all the way through...so snow, mud and other crap could pass through, or in worst case scenario, to use a small metal pin to clear the pin hole from the upper side. But I have not needed it so far.
Ant01ne wrote: Are there really folks skimo racing with 3 pins?
Apparently, yes. There is even people racing on splitboards, probably of the same reason as me. I have completed 1 (yes, one!) race since starting this thread, although I trained and practiced this a lot during this season and the end of last season. In Sweden there is approximately 5 skimo races per season, and due to distances and work assignment I am able to participate in two of them. But I have toured for more than 25 years, including bootpacking, exclusively on 3-pins since 2007.
Ant01ne wrote: IMO this is impossible. Unless there is no bootpack.
No, it is not.
Ant01ne wrote: But skimo racing is super fun! :D
At least something we agree on

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:49 pm

iBjorn wrote:I would like to point out that I do this for fun, to trim my equipment as well as my technique.
I also thought that it might be of value for someone that I shared my experience of this, but I am not sure on that anymore.
I think we all appreciate your contributions and interest. Keep at it.
I hope you can also see some of the humor/curiosity/sideways glances at a telemark skier in a skimo race. You don't seem to take it too seriously, so I assume you do.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Did my first Skimo this year, in Scotland. I used 3 pin with cables, leave the cable tightly fitted but loose up hill is getting close to dynafiddle efficiency. Generally my transitions were crap, gear not well sorted. That said, I am now in the top 20 British Skimo racers, and the top Tele vet! I came 19th!!
Lots of fun, definitely in for it next year. Tempted to put together a tech toe set up.