NTN Binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
PrimaCornice

NTN Binding

Post by PrimaCornice » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:33 pm

First post on what looks like an awesome website.

I converted to telemark in 2003. Skied with G3 Targa bindings for a few seasons until I ripped the cable on a backcountry trip. I upgraded to a Black Diamond 01 ridiculously stiff cartridge and have been loving the active feel of the binding. After 8 years they have lost their spring. I am looking to upgrade my setup.

I have taken the last four years off with little kids in the picture. Now that my oldest is old enough to start enjoying the slopes I'm looking to upgrade my setup.

What is everyone's opinion of NTN? Is it the wave of the future? I have my eye on 22 designs outlaw and Rotafella's freedom and freeride. Which one of the three has the most active feel? I do about half backcountry and half resort. I love the high resistance, active bindings. I would most likely be mounting them on an all mountain 100 underfoot ski that does it all for east coast skiing.

Boots. How come there are only a handful of options for boots? I have used Garmont 3 buckle Energy boots for 13 seasons. I like the fit on my extra wide foot. Scarpa used to be for people with skinny feet. Is that still the case?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

dnt_upton

Re: NTN Binding

Post by dnt_upton » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:41 pm

NTN opinions vary.

If you're buying it,get Outlaw X next fall.

Scott bought Garmont and has 1 or 2 versions out there for NTN. If you can't try them on in a store or demo them, go with Scott.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am

You definitely need to try first... You might like or might not. NTN is really different than 75 mm cable bindings...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:59 pm

If you're on the rid-stiff cartridges I bet you'd like the NTN feel. Defintely Demo some gear if you can.

Scarpa NTN boots are significantly more spacious than their 75mm counterparts. The heel pocket might be tighter but the rest is definitely more voluminous but I've never tried Scott or Garmont offerings (unfortunately)

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 pm

What is everyone's opinion of NTN? Is it the wave of the future?
I think so. Releasability is close. Power is already there. Edge control awesome. Brakes for your resort rig. It took me years to adjust but I'm adjusted and love it. That said, my hammerheads were pretty awesome.
I have my eye on 22 designs outlaw and Rotafella's freedom and freeride. Which one of the three has the most active feel?
Probably Freeride and Outlaw are about equal. I have Freeride but often have preferred 22D over Rota.
I do about half backcountry and half resort. I love the high resistance, active bindings. I would most likely be mounting them on an all mountain 100 underfoot ski that does it all for east coast skiing
Do NOT get Freeride for touring. They are heavy and have limited range of motion.
Boots. How come there are only a handful of options for boots? I have used Garmont 3 buckle Energy boots for 13 seasons. I like the fit on my extra wide foot. Scarpa used to be for people with skinny feet. Is that still the case?
Don't know why. Sizing - my Scarpa Tx Pro's are like slippers. I have an "avg" foot. The last on them is 102 which I think is average to largish.

Joelh

Post by Joelh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 pm

I just got on the NTN bandwagon and got the Freerides with the swap plates for two pairs of my area skis. I think the Freeride is a little more active than the Outlaw. I actually prefer the Outlaw; it reminded me of my Voile VP-IIs. The Outlaw is a really nice design. Skis like a good plate design. True step-in and easy out with your pole tip. Nice feature, if you take your skis off to apply or rip skins. Free pivot, that you actuate with your pole tip.

You need to bend down to actuate the toe levers on the Rottefellas. I have trouble getting my gloved finger into the walk mode lever, but it's easy to get a pole tip in to release it. Pivot range in walk mode is better than a three pin, but not as good as your O-1s. Yeah, they're heavy for telemark bindings. Throw the skis over your shoulder and it almost feels like a pair of alpine skis.

If you skin a lot, what about trying the Freedoms? They have a free pivot. You can't mount them on the swap plate, but I think you were only going to mount a single ski.

I skied the Freerides, Freedoms, Outlaw (not the X), and the latest Voile Switchbacks. I actually liked them all.

Bought the TX Pros for boots(average volume foot). I moving up from old bumble bee Scarpa T-1s and have been on BD O-1s, Voile VP-II, and 3pin Hardwires for bindings.