Alpina 1550 vs Alpina Alaska: Are the sizes consitant between the two?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Fishnaked

Alpina 1550 vs Alpina Alaska: Are the sizes consitant between the two?

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 pm

I have the 1550's now in size 42. They are a little snug for me, in length and general fit. I want to upgrade and can get a pair of Alaska's for $170....but, only in size 43. Hoping the Alaska size 43 will be the perfect fit...but I read somewhere leading me to wonder if they might be too big.
I can send the Alaska's back if they are too big. Just thought I'd ask for opinions here first.
Thanks.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Alpina 1550 vs Alpina Alaska: Are the sizes consitant between the two?

Post by Johnny » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:04 am

Hey Fish,

I have Alaskas in size 42, 43 and 44... I also have a pair of 1550's size 43... They fit pretty much the same...!

I like the Alaskas for more serious stuff and pure resort downhill... And I absolutely love the 1550's for XC stuff... While I'm totally in love with the Alaska BCs, I find them way too stiff for kick and glide... And that is where the 1550's shine...

I would grab those 43 Alaskas... You won't regret it... You can always use shims or wedges if the fit is not perfect... Worst case scenario, you can sell them back here anytime... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 pm

$170 is a great deal on Alaska, I would pounce on it. You don't find the Euro-made leather boots going on sale often. Very easy to shim boots or wear thick socks to make up a bit of extra room. In fact I think someone else in this forum is thinking of buying those same boots, better get moving :?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Hey Fish,

I have Alaskas in size 42, 43 and 44... I also have a pair of 1550's size 43... They fit pretty much the same...!

I like the Alaskas for more serious stuff and pure resort downhill... And I absolutely love the 1550's for XC stuff... While I'm totally in love with the Alaska BCs, I find them way too stiff for kick and glide... And that is where the 1550's shine...

I would grab those 43 Alaskas... You won't regret it... You can always use shims or wedges if the fit is not perfect... Worst case scenario, you can sell them back here anytime... 8-)
You have three sizes of Alaska's?? Wanna sell the 43's?? ;-)

At any rate, thank you for the info!

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Cannatonic wrote:$170 is a great deal on Alaska, I would pounce on it. You don't find the Euro-made leather boots going on sale often. Very easy to shim boots or wear thick socks to make up a bit of extra room. In fact I think someone else in this forum is thinking of buying those same boots, better get moving :?
Thank you! I have a pair set aside with no obligations to buy. I'm pretty sure I'll bite the bullet though. :)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:12 am

Fishnaked wrote:You have three sizes of Alaska's?? Wanna sell the 43's?? ;-)
That's the thing about specialty products... Years ago, there was no place around I could try them, so I had to buy three sizes in order to find the right fit... I bought them used so I could not return them... I had to learn the hard way... That said, it shows how much I'm into that boot... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks, all. I ordered them this morning. Should be on my doorstep by Wed or Thurs.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Got'em! And man, they are some nice looking boots...and comfy too...well, as comfy as a set of boots can be anyway. The fit seems great, as far as I can tell. Looking forward to using them.