First snow in Finland!

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

First snow in Finland!

Post by Verskis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am

Hi, I have been lurking around here for a couple of years, never bothered to register for some reason. Now finally made it and registered!

I was stoked to do some backyard backcountry XCD skiing yesterday when the first snow hit us in Finland quite early this year.
Rocks and roots were not completely buried in every place, but it didn't matter as I have some beater skis for conditions like this.
I managed to make a few wobbly telemark turns on the local bunny hills, but I was reminded how much I need to work on my turns to make them natural. Hopefully we have a snowy winter to be able to work on those!
Nevertheless, I had fun and can't wait to hit the snow again! Unfortunately the weather forecasts predict heavy rains for tomorrow instead of more snowfall, we'll probably lose all the snow...

Bri7

Re: First snow in Finland!

Post by Bri7 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Nice one Verskis!

We had our first snow of the season too today (in the americain northeast) but I didn’t get to ski it. It involved too much drive for that kind of snow! But it’s just a matter of time before we hit the slopes!
B63E4B2C-3C74-4614-B049-03D94F5546AA.jpeg

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:24 am

Bri7 wrote:Nice one Verskis!

We had our first snow of the season too today (in the americain northeast) but I didn’t get to ski it. It involved too much drive for that kind of snow! But it’s just a matter of time before we hit the slopes!
Whoa, where ya at? Still pretty damn warm here in the Hudson Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

Merrell GTs FTW! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 am

Bri7 wrote:Nice one Verskis!

Wow, I'm only dreaming of those kind of mountains! Even if I'm driving for an hour, I am only able to hit hills with maximum of 150m (= ~500 feet) of vertical.
But on the other hand, I'm lucky to have skiable terrain (=forest with small hills) right behind my house, no need to drive anywhere. When the first snow hit us last Thursday, I just got home from work, grabbed my headlamp and went skiing straigth away :)

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Merrell GTs FTW! 8-)
Hard to turn even with my downsized skis (180cm skis and I'm 181cm tall), but otherwise seem good for a beater pair of skis for thin snow.
Do you have any idea how old these skis are? Just bought them last year from flea market, I don't know much about their history.

snolion
Occupation: Grow & Pack Citrus in Ca., Sell & Ship to Eastern U.S. & Pacific Rim.

Post by snolion » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 am

Always a wait this time of year around the central Sierra. My lady and I spent last weekend stashing fuel, cheese, tortillas, and dehydrated dinners for our multiday trips next spring around Kings Canyon-Sequoia.
P1000599.JPG
Last spring

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 am

Nice picture, snolion!

Around here we lost all the snow a week ago, now it's +5C and wet, muddy and dark again...

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I have only been to one town ever in Finland- Kilipsjarvi. It was real nice though!