Asnes Ingstad BC 2018 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
w8n4snow

Re: Asnes Ingstad BC 2018 Ski Review

Post by w8n4snow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 am

I chose 205s... I do carry a pack often and was counting on mr. Ingstad having a soft round flex- which he does- and the length gives me more speed and better tracking on the harder trails I routinely travel to get further out. Oh- 6'1", 185 lbs I am. Also was counting on the skis being turny. They are indeed, and I cannot say elegant things about how they turn yet because I have only skied them 8 days thus. So far? Well, you can stand on em and go for a great ride... but I know that you can drive the ski like a much wider ski too, and make it do things like ...Turn!Now!Wowzersthatwasclose! Hills and Inclines along the trail get sliced up with curling parallel ditch cobra bite trenches that would quickly fill with spandex-bound and puffy-coated myTubers with busted ankles if we were down in America. Not so much here though, mostly just caribou, lynx, and wolves telling me to start being more objective and spend less time on the Conputter.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 pm

w8n4snow wrote:I chose 205s... I do carry a pack often and was counting on mr. Ingstad having a soft round flex- which he does- and the length gives me more speed and better tracking on the harder trails I routinely travel to get further out. Oh- 6'1", 185 lbs I am. Also was counting on the skis being turny. They are indeed,
I must say that I want the 205cm as well.

Disappointed that LaCordee only got the 195cm.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm

w8n4snow wrote:
Cliffy, yes Nnnbc with Alpina Alaskas. I am sorry to report that my beloved boots have loose bars and cracking around the different rubbers in the bar area after 3 years. Otherwise solid. My merrels are still solid after 10 years of hard use and resoling. An NNNBC resole option is needed in this world.
Yes- would like to be able resole my leather NNNBC boots!

Sorry to hear about your Alaskas on the way out...

My Alaska right toe bar seems to have the teensiest bit of play now- but otherwise in excellent shape, after countless thousands of BC snow...(I am starting to think about a possible replacement though...)

What are you going to replace the Alaska with?

w8n4snow

Post by w8n4snow » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:58 am

More days with mr Ingstad- continue to be extremely impressed. We have had only a few inches on a deep crusty frozen base, still twitchy under there, but the skis slay it. Super fast. Breaking trail in the crust they are sublime- solid round confident flex, tips rising, tail strong. Tail much firmer than e109... I can twist the tips a bit with all my might... about the same as Nansens though (apples n oranges) but less than e109. Scrubbing speed on frozen rough snogo trails is not so chattery and flighty-

I would not be afraid to buy these long, unless you're doing lots of turning- which they do. They are made for shredding miles across mountain country like Asnes says, and the speed and stability from length can not be replicated. And so LIGHT!

Mr cliffy- I feel your pain. This too shall pass... when you find a pair of 205s!!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am

w8n4snow wrote: They are made for shredding miles across mountain country like Asnes says, and the speed and stability from length can not be replicated. And so LIGHT!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 pm

you could try asking Rocky Mountain Resole if they do NNNBC - they are a bit expensive but maybe they'd do it.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm

a nnn bc or a non-norwergian stitch nn resole is easy peasy for any cobbler to do as long as you have the replacement sole! i have had 2 nn resoles done on old boots as the glue ends up drying up after so many years (15 or more?). ciao.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm

W8N, do you have both the new Ingstad and a Nansen? If so I would really appreciate the contrast between the apples and the oranges. I am seriously looking. I really think there are many more people than myself that would love to read your thoughts on these two skis. For me although 90% plus, plus of my skiing is rolling trail skiing, which I really enjoy, my first love is the downhill turn. I am looking for a fast trail ski, that I will not want to leave at home when it snows. I also want it to turn easier than a traditional double camber. I can turn a double camber on firm snow, double camber does become more difficult in variable snow.
Other than this forum, I can't find much information on these skis. I ski a Anses USGI surplus ski, and really like it as a trail ski. I am looking for the ski that can perform at that level on the trail, but I am looking much greater downhill performance.
Thank you

I also wanted you to know I greatly enjoyed how Ingstad helped you find the proper mounting point, and your first skis with him, that was some great writing!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:47 am

Excellent question Bob- I too want to know the XCD differences between the new Ingstad and the Nansen.

I do know that Master Waitin-4-Snow mentioned his 205cm Nansen's were not enough in the truly deep snow...

Not everything is width either-

Base on dimensions the Eon and the E109 should offer just as much float as my Combat Nato- but they don't- the flex of the Combat Nato is more stable in deep snow- the Eon flexes like a bow, leaving you feeling like your standing on a pool cover- the E-109's tip floats, leaving the rest of the ski in the abyss, like your skiing uphill on the flats!

Perhaps the flex of the Nansen influences its performance in truly deep snow, compared to the Ingstad?

Can't say anything about the new model Ingstad, but my Combat Natos are amazing in deep snow.

But- you got your S-112 for deep snow...

w8n4snow

Post by w8n4snow » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 am

Must I apologize for the weather? Alas we have had almost no new snow for 6 weeks... after a beautiful early winter. But it could be worse- the snowpack is supportable, "trails" are in, and we haven't had colder than 30 below, and that for a short time. Usually an old tired snowpack around here is just a completely faceted weak unsupportable mess. Well above average warmth continues to be the theme of our recent winters. So I've been skiing nonetheless. Still with mr Ingstad exclusively, however I am holding off on any more proclamations about mr Ingstad until I can ski him in better conditions. But, my impressions will only get better...

Also hope to offer some comparison of Ingstad BC, Nansen, e109, and Combat NATO as we have all 4 in the family in similar lengths! Maybe photographs or moving pictures too, but frankly I have little patience for moving bits and bytes around through wires, but appreciate greatly the results of those who have the knack for such things. I get more excited by my good trail axe than the dang conputter.

Ingstad has worn everything from Polar to Special red and skied a variety of conditions and I say again that Ingstad kicks a$$. Not as turny as e109 on hard snow, due to sidecut (only 2mm less) and the Europas soft tail me thinks. But Ingstad much more stable in variable snow and skis like it's much wider than the e109...

Oh- Santa brought a new pair of Alaskas for me, a size up this time. I have wide feet and nerve tumor issues from too many years of narrow ski and climbing boots and not enough brains, so I'm trying to get more width from length. I cut the rubber rand (not the leather!!) vertically every 1/4" or so along the widest part of my feet to let the leather stretch there- it works. Then glue on 40 Below neoprene overboots after they're broken in a bit. Never a cold foot and very very durable and warm, and a gaiter to boot.