TELEMO SKI & BINDING

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telemarkmark

TELEMO SKI & BINDING

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 am

At last the autumn project is finished! Inspiration (there is nothing new) and photos.
The leaf binding comes in at 377g, the ski started at 734g with reinforcements 777g. Ski, binding and boot is 2180g
The idea is that steel is heavy, and a spring designed to hold a duckbill into a cable binding is not efficient for a tech toe tele binding.
The leaf is 4 layers of 1mm carbon fibre sheet. (For a heavier set up, thicker would be better). The cable is 5mm Dynema running around an alloy tube, cable held in place by a loop of webbing. The pivot is 110mm back, and 35mm below the pins. The front throw is off the F1 boot.
The reinforcement plate is 1mm carbon with 200g carbon epoxy laminated between.
It has been tested on an old ski, only on a dry slope, but felt good, like a 3 pin, but full control dropping into the turn.
Needs a good trial on real snow, hopefully next weekend. First Skimo Race at end of month. So, will it fall apart, come loose, lever not stay down.... will keep you posted -( A Thread has started on Earnyourturns - Forum)
24899938_1778124088878111_4658176106589742871_n.jpg
68731F52-46D4-40DD-8AF6-176D545EE806.jpeg

teleclub

Re: TELEMO SKI & BINDING

Post by teleclub » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm

So cool.
You invented a new binding?!

How did you attach the carbon leafspring to the alloy tube?

Are you concerned about the tech-toe being attached through the stack of carbon leaf? I'm wondering if the carbon sheets can lever up and loosen the binding screws.

The only problem I can see is that they don't make those boots anymore (I think). How much does your boot weigh now after modification?

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am

Great market for 'Telemo' bindings? don't think it will be part of my retirement plan!
The ski is well reinforced under the toe, so hopefully no pull out. My theory is that it would break the carbon leaf before damaging the ski, there should be less stress than a standard cable bottoming out.
The bar has a slot for the plate and it is resin glued in place.
The leafs above rest on top of the bar, so at rest have some tension, which does add to the down force from the start of lifting the heel.
Boot is just over 1kg.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 am

The Telemo skis have finally tasted real snow - just a quick pootle around / besides the pistes at Glencoe ‘Resort’ Scotland.  They have yet to open, though the pistes prepared and ready to go for the weekend, the sidecountry was a bit thin.
On the climb they are amazing - as would be expected with their Skimo pedigree (though my climb rate of 600m / hr is still half that of top racers).
The binding worked well, though needed adjusting to get the cable tension / length correct - it did loosen a bit, though could be bedding in or slippage.
On the piste they were magic, it is a very short ski and with a generous camber quite lively, and narrow so quick edge-edge.  All in all a fun ski, snappy linked tele turns a piece of cake, being so light really helps.  Also very easy for jump / tight turns on steeper section and surprisingly stable on a fast shush.
Definitely much better than a traditional 75mm binding, with good control right through the transitions.

Downsides - off piste was not easy  / challenging as thin soft snow over heather, then an narrow ski would be struggling.  It will be interesting to see how they perform in better off-piste conditions.

The F1 boots the most comfortable touring boot I have used. The bungee cord ski-mode worked well,  movement with some sprung resistance when skiing.  Great range of rotation when skinning. It was not a problem, though it could do with a support to stop the bellows dropping
99699E7D-E23C-4384-A813-39D1B966BB53.jpeg

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 am

Good Work Mark! It is nice that we are a few that are racing with tele skis. Rando race skis a really fun in the piste, the lightness and shortness makes them very fast and manouverable. I have have not had the time to make my own bindings, so I ski with regular Rottefellas 3-pins and T4s for the moment - but I must say that I miss the ROM of the Scarpa F1s.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm

telemarkmark wrote:...The F1 boots the most comfortable touring boot I have used. The bungee cord ski-mode worked well,  movement with some sprung resistance when skiing.  Great range of rotation when skinning. It was not a problem, though it could do with a support to stop the bellows dropping
Somewhere I've seen a puck installed under the ball of the foot to keep the bellows from dropping the sole there. I think they use this in certain other tech toe tele bindings that use the Tx Pro boot (the only remaining boot with bellows and a tech toe?). Such a puck would need to sit atop the carbon leaf stack in your binding, probably using a material that can flex with the leaves. No sure how that would work with your springs but also not sure how much a problem it is, although I've thought the bellows-drop is the reason they stopped making the F1 with a bellows(?). To me that wouldn't be a reason to discontinue such a great boot, and a puck apparently fixes the problem so the rear lock down pins function fine in the regular Dynafit AT binding mode.

Where does the un-tensioned Dynema cord sit while you're climbing?

Very cool to hear there are some using tele in SkiMo. Makes me think I should get out to my local races.

Great to hear you're out skiing in Scotland.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm

also: maybe it's just the photo angle, but are your bindings mounted fairly forward compared to standard?

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 am

Binding location - funny you asked that - I have only just noticed that this is so.
I mounted them with boot centre marked ski 'centre' and back 1cm. Curiously I did not check this but they are way forward, rough ski centre I have now assessed (between where it bends to positive curve) is about the front of the boot heel. I will have to take proper measurement. It could be that the manufacturers ski 'centre' is based on testing the ski, rather than measurement.
I normally mount with the ball of the foot over the ski centre that I measure myself.
The odd thing is that they ski very well, being more forward seems to gives a very easy turn initiation. Being a very short ski you can adjust the weighting a fair way. Even found no problem turning the inner ski more into the turn than the outer (ie sort of reverse stem) which loads up the inner ski, now that is surprising.
I guess it may be why they were not so good is soft baseless snow - though not easy with any ski.
It does make me think that the ability to move the binding & heel back & forward to suit conditions may be worthwhile for an off-piste ski. Skimo-Scotland events tend to be on the piste, so happy as it is.
Might be interesting to try binding forward on another ski and see if it is the same - perhaps we have all had it wrong with traditional tele mounting!

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 am

Got through to SkiTrab, yup I got it wrong, Skimo skis Mark is the toe line, not the normal boot centre.
No moved back, one short outing in sketchy conditions, seemed to be a lot better.
The dynema cord does stretch when wet, it only needs a few mm to loosen. It does not have a very progressive action. So going to try including a short steel spring, may add another 100g max, but still very light set up.
Do like the front throw, switch mode even for a short uphill.
Next Skimo in 3 weeks, at Nevis, May take in a serious descent. Did get down a 38deg slope this weekend, though with a somersault, or two,in the soft stuff!