The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: The Åsnes Thread

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:32 pm

D'hostie wrote:
fisheater wrote: Mike, the reason why I am not looking at Objectives is because I have an S-112. The s-112 may not be as torsionally as rigid as the Objective, but they are in the same class. I certainly do not have the terrain that Phoenix or Connyro have. Even for the northern lower peninsula of Michigan a ski that can carry speed makes the touring for turns better. Actually you talk about the steep short ups and downs in your area. Picture something similar to that with finding some 200 to 300 foot down hills if you pick the right area. In my neck of the woods it might be 150 feet or so. A ski needs some speed in the rolls to be fun. That being said, we get 2 feet on occasion. The s-112 is fun to ski downhill in powder, and while not fast it is capable as a powder trail ski.
I might be dreaming of the impossible, but I really could use something between the USGI and the s-112.
I don't pretend to know your business, but I can read, and from what I've read, it seems like the S112 isn't cutting the mustard for what you want. Trust me, I have its little brother, and love it, but I certainly don't ski it on piste and I know it's not the fastest ski in my quiver; it's particularly slow feeling on packed down trails.

I could go find the quotes but it seems you think it's a tad slow and not really at its full potential on hardpack. I get that. Pretty sure I said the same things long ago about my S98s. It's a wicked fun ski when we get big dump, but you know what else would fill that void? Yup. It would also do better than the 112 at the resort, I bet.

Thing is, I think you actually need two skis. There's no one that's going to do all that stuff you asked. Sorry. It just doesn't exist. Couple routes you could take, but I would prioritize here. What do you enjoy skiing the most? What do you wind up skiing the most? Seen as how I live in a similar environment as you but on the other side of Lake Erie, I bet I know the answer.

The options, as I see it, are such:

- Spend a lot of money on a trail ski which you'll likely use a lot, but won't fulfill all the requirements and won't be as much fun when you get a big dump. Keep skiing your S112 in big dumps and at the resorts, and live with the compromise.

- Buy a decent, used ski for the resort and stick with what you have. There are TONS of older shaped skis out there that will work great with your T4s. Look in the direction woods has gone.

- Spend a lot of money on a really sweet steep and deep ski that will still rip at the resort and get rid of your S112. Look around for a used or beater trail ski - old Karhus, S Bounds, whatever... don't be too picky. Anything in the mid-widths will be good and most anything from the last 10 years will be easier to handle dh than those USGI skis. Those things are bears. They are stiff though, I give them that.

Seen as how I'm in a similar environment as you, I'm trying to give you some reasonable feedback. The ski I grab 9/10 around my house to ski beat up hiking trails is my S78. It's tough, stable, reliable, and I bought it fairly cheap. Anything like that will work though. They are downhillable, but not a dh ski. They are decently fast. And you don't care that much about so you'll ski it over rocks and sticks and shit when the cover is thin.

Now when we get a big dump, I grab my S98s. But I also have a separate resort ski (2 actually). If I wanted one ski to cover both those bases, it'd not be any of the skis I have. The old Tua Heliums I have would be the closest, but they still aren't as good as a modern ski in terms of shape and geometry, and they are pretty stiff torsionally, but no where near what a carbon reinforced ski will be.
Mike,
Thank you for taking the time for taking your time to put your thoughts down. They are really spot on. You are correct in your assessment of my opinion of the s-112, and I often wonder if indeed the s-98 would be a superior ski for my uses. However, I do enjoy the s-112 in powder, and it would be suitable if a made a foray into the the UP when it gets deep. For instance if I went to the telemark festival up in the Porcupine Mountains and hooked up with some skiers to yo-yo some backcountry. Even if everybody was in the group was on Vectors, if I could not hang, it would be me, not the skis. I might need to work a little harder, but it would be me, not the skis if I could not hang.
As for a resort ski to ski with my T-4's, I have that in my Volkl V-21 Vertigo skis. The used Hammerheads I mounted them with have not worked out. On the third turn I made in them I felt the spring fatigue out. Could not keep the ski on. I have new springs, but with all the fastener shops in my area which is only 30 miles north of Detroit I will have to mail order new binding screws. The thing is that I really am not interested in skiing the resort in my T-4's. I want to ski in leathers. There was a time in my life when I was on alpine skis all I wanted to ski was steep. Now my focus is to rip in leather boots. The T-4's just are not the same, and whether it's the Porkies, or Saugatuck Dunes leather is more fun in the rolling hills that lead to 200-300 feet of vertical, then more rolling hills.
So you are again correct when you state exactly what I ponder. Can I handle an Ingstad the way I would like on the downhill? If I could rip it the resort in all conditions? If I could I think I could ski it pretty well on them in the back country. If I bought a Falketind 62 would I be satisfied with it's trail performance? If it's trail performance was in the middle between the s-112 and the USGI I would be happy.
Which brings me to my trail ski, which I will ski most of the time near home. I really like the USGI. I have some trouble when the snow gets really thin and shiney. I think I have come up with a solution. I am going to mount my other USGI, and use it as my klister ski. I really like the USGI (ignorance is bliss), I think I can get by with klister instead of scales, so why not just use one of the two for the goo? I had been thinking of routering scales into my spare USGI, but I think I like the klister ski idea better.
Mike, I want to thank you again for pointing out your experience with some of these skis. I appreciate your analysis, and you are willing to take your time to offer a well thought out opinion. Most of all it is great to read your posts again.
Did those babies have a good Christmas?

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Kids had a great Christmas, then all of them got sick - cousins too. That's the way it goes I guess.

Maybe those new Ingstads would be the ticket? I dunno? Mine were damn expensive and a little disappointing. I've still been skiing them because it's cold and wax is working good now.

Personally, I don't think the 98 would buy you much. It's a pretty similar ski, just tad lighter and narrower. It'll kick my ass if it's rutted and slick. I tried to telly them down and icy hill on an XC skating track. I tried one turn, skidded horribly, stood up and just rocketed down like I all the other XC skiers were!

I know those hammerheads take special fasteners, but you MIGHT be able to get them from 22D if you call them directly. Or put up a post and see if anyone has any spares. You might get lucky.

I'd say if you really, really want a resort ski for leathers, buy something vintage. They'll all be heavier and stiffer than the XCD skis of today which will work better on hard snow. Any oldish Tele or Alpine ski should do. You'd probably like the Tuas I have. Stiff for how light they are. Camber is very soft and low (they are an old AT ski after all). Kinda straight, but if you can muscle the USGI on piste, these would fee like slalom skis.

As far as trail ski, any of the cheaper ones lilcliffy mention would be great. I'm sure you'd be killing it with an Eon. Such an easy turning ski. Cheap. Smooth base would be better IMO but if you get scales, plan on adding wax anyway to help the grip. Any smooth S Bounds of yore. I don't know about the new T78s - might be a bit too cambered... the E88 or el cheapo Rossi BC90 if you can find a deal seems like a good compromise - scales probably suck, but just add wax to the tip.

You could probably find a used, single cambered old school Tele and an Eon or Rossi BC90 (shoulda jumped on the last deal, but I bet ORS will have some left once they liquidate) for less than $300. Don't go nuts on the bindings, pins and cables if you like the cable. More than adequate for leathers.

I just highly doubt any of those Asnes BC skis are going to hold up on piste. The Falketind I think has the best shot, but I don't think it will be a great ski for trail cruising - too shapely. That's why I like the Eon/78/88 skis - they are pretty straight and wide enough to be stable. The Ingstad has that shape, but it's expensive and I don't think would be a great hardpack ski.

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Fish - this is one of my resort setups:

Riser are probably not necessary, but I suppose would help on steeps with binding contact. I put them on because I wanted to mount on boot center and there were a million other holes.

I've skied them on ice with leather - not easy for sure. I was tired after the end of each 300-400' vert run too. With plastic they feel just like a soft Alpine ski from the 90s. They are much stiffer torsionally than any of my XCD skis though. They weigh about 5 lbs for the pair.

Anything like this would be a cheap, easy resort leather setup.

I'd like to try these with wax on some trails too.

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:05 pm

D'hostie wrote: And Johnny, you owe me for a some Glitts, bindings and kids skis - see if you can't find something decent for Bob to slide around on the trails. I know you have or can find something.
Nada?

Some community here. 30 something pairs of skis and getting free new ones now, and can't help a fellow member find a used pair or let go of one of the hoard?

Freeheelwilly was right. Just a bunch of self-centered strangers talking past each other about nothing of any consequence and feeding each other's greed.

Joy and passion is about product advertising and buying new stuff? Or thrashing re-accepted members about technique?
Could have fooled me...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:53 pm

D'hostie wrote: Nada?

Freeheelwilly was right. Just a bunch of self-centered strangers talking past each other about nothing of any consequence and feeding each other's greed.
Mike, I'm sorry but I intentionally did not reply to your post.

I do not talk to people who spend their whole days talking disloyally with low-life scumbags about other respected TT members elsewhere on the internet. I do not talk to people who are analyzing other people's tracks and who are scientifically analyzing the chemical content of other skiers farts. I do not to talk to people who are openly encouraging and promoting hate and disrespect on other websites.

I do not talk to people who are investing their holiday time with self-centered egomaniac pigs speculating on how bad other TT members skiing must be in real life and on the shape of their feces. I am not talking to people who are badmouthing respected forum members publicly. If you banned me on Facebook, I really do not see why you should expect me to talk to you here?

You need help. Please consult before it's too late my friend. I tried to help you, I did my best.
I'm sorry man... I'm not very good at this... Good luck.
Peace out.
fisheater wrote: I often wonder if indeed the s-98 would be a superior ski for my uses.

If I bought a Falketind 62 would I be satisfied with it's trail performance? If it's trail performance was in the middle between the s-112 and the USGI I would be happy.
I think the S98 would probably be what you are looking for. When I open the door and can't decide whether I'll be looking for turns or just striding for a few miles, I always go for the 10th Mtns, which is pretty much the same thing as the S98. The turniest ski on the market. Ok, it's not terrible for touring, it is quite bad for long distance, but perfect for exploring and finding some nice descents. And with a longer size, you would get a bigger radius so it would tour a bit better.

The Falketind is probably very similar to the 10th Mtns / S98. What is very nice about Asnes is that they mention radius for all different sizes. I would like 172cm ones with their 15m (!!!) radius for tight trees and groomers. But the 188cm with its 20m radius would probably be not bad at all for kick and glide....
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Check out the photos of the FT62 vs. FT68 on the Asnes website:
https://www.asnes.com/produkter/fjellski/

These are two quite different skis:

The FT62 has a XC track groove and more camber than the 68.

The FT62 looks like a pretty unique ski on the current market.

They are both clearly touring-for-turns xcD skis- obviously dreamed up by someone that wants to shred downhil in XC shoes...(Makes me wonder whether the XCD Knights are involved with the Asnes design team...)

JUST based on photos and description:

1) FT62: xcD touring-for-turns in hilly/rolling terrain.
2) FT68: xcD ski for up-down mountainous terrain.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm

D'hostie wrote:Fish - this is one of my resort setups:

Riser are probably not necessary, but I suppose would help on steeps with binding contact. I put them on because I wanted to mount on boot center and there were a million other holes.

I've skied them on ice with leather - not easy for sure. I was tired after the end of each 300-400' vert run too. With plastic they feel just like a soft Alpine ski from the 90s. They are much stiffer torsionally than any of my XCD skis though. They weigh about 5 lbs for the pair.

Anything like this would be a cheap, easy resort leather setup.

I'd like to try these with wax on some trails too.
Those Tuas are pretty sweet Mike, they like like a fun ski at the resort.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Johnny wrote:
D'hostie wrote: Nada?

Mike, I'm sorry but I intentionally did not reply to your post.

I do not talk to people who spend their whole days talking disloyally with low-life scumbags about other respected TT members elsewhere on the internet. I do not talk to people who are analyzing other people's tracks and who are scientifically analyzing the chemical content of other skiers farts. I do not to talk to people who are openly encouraging and promoting hate and disrespect on other websites.

I do not talk to people who are investing their holiday time with self-centered egomaniac pigs speculating on how bad other TT members skiing must be in real life and on the shape of their feces. I am not talking to people who are badmouthing respected forum members publicly. If you banned me on Facebook, I really do not see why you should expect me to talk to you here?

You need help. Please consult before it's too late my friend. I tried to help you, I did my best.
I'm sorry man... I'm not very good at this... Good luck.
Peace out.
fisheater wrote: I often wonder if indeed the s-98 would be a superior ski for my uses.

If I bought a Falketind 62 would I be satisfied with it's trail performance? If it's trail performance was in the middle between the s-112 and the USGI I would be happy.
I think the S98 would probably be what you are looking for. When I open the door and can't decide whether I'll be looking for turns or just striding for a few miles, I always go for the 10th Mtns, which is pretty much the same thing as the S98. The turniest ski on the market. Ok, it's not terrible for touring, it is quite bad for long distance, but perfect for exploring and finding some nice descents. And with a longer size, you would get a bigger radius so it would tour a bit better.

The Falketind is probably very similar to the 10th Mtns / S98. What is very nice about Asnes is that they mention radius for all different sizes. I would like 172cm ones with their 15m (!!!) radius for tight trees and groomers. But the 188cm with its 20m radius would probably be not bad at all for kick and glide....
I Totally agree with all of this...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

So- back to the topic of Asnes...

Just received a set of 188cm Asnes Storetind Carbon skis:
https://www.asnes.com/produkt/storetind-carbon-2/
storetind-1.jpeg
Some initial impressions- that hopefully aren't too skewed by my gushing over them sitting in my kitchen this fine cold evening!

VERY light.
Strong single camber- with a rockered tip.
Very significant "Nordic rockered tip" once the camber is compressed- didn't measure it- but these skis have very open tip once they are weighted.
Stiff and torsionally rigid ski- period- WAAY stiffer than any other BC Nordic ski I have handled with these dimensions- makes an S-Bound 98 feel like a wet noodle. This ski will most definitely hold an edge on hard and icy snow.
Beautiful construction- full-wrap thick steel edge; solid wood core, with carbon reinforcement; high-quality, finished sintered base; Skin-Lock attachment slot; tail notch for full-length skins.

Check out the photos on the Asnes website. Flexing and examining this ski in my kitchen- and looking at the photos on line- brings some light to the above discussion of camber and rocker on these Asnes hybrid and Telemark/AT skis...

Placing this ski base-to-base- uncompressed- the camber-rocker profile looks just like Voile's "hybrid rocker" (i.e. traditional Alpine single camber, with a rockered tip). The tips open up a lot more with that camber compressed. The photo of the opened tips is definitely with the camber compressed.

Don't know how old the Storetind design is- but it would appear that Asnes has been playing with "Nordic rocker" flex patterns on their hybrid and Telemark/At skis long before the new Nordic-rockered Ingstad.

I am thinking that all of the Asnes hybrid and Telemark skis may have a similar basic camber profile...

At the very least, I can confirm that the photo of the Storetind's open tips is with the camber fully compressed.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Tell the kids to take a close look at those skis, because they will not see much of those until the lift line ;)