Please help a neophyte Vermont XC skier select the right gear

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lars

Please help a neophyte Vermont XC skier select the right gear

Post by Lars » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:38 am

Greetings.

I am trying to learn the ways of XCD and have decided to invest in some gear.

I live in Vermont and have access to some amazing trails and wilderness to play in. I have intermediate alpine skills, and enjoy running (got my first Spartan in this fall at Killington). That being said, I have a stocky large build (5'8", 235#) and am having a hard time matching my body with skis that match my desired skiing.

My main goal right now is to acquire a single set of gear that allows me to ski on groomed trails without it becoming a chore (<5 miles) yet still allow me throw my skis on and explore the land trust with rolling hills, fields, and forest behind my house (<5 miles). I will not be doing heavy downhill, but I do want the ability to turn a bit and go off trail and have control on that type of terrain. I would also like the ability to grow into these skis as my skill level and confidence grow.

I am ok with losing speed on the flats and groomers if it means I can have better control on the dips and downs and offtrack. I recognize that my needs are probably best served with acquiring a few different sets of gear for these conditions, but I would like to try to keep it to one. I don't mind compromising a bit for greater flexibility overall.

My research has led me to believe the best set up for this would be something along the lines of an Eon or Fischer T78 with nnn bc magnum bindings. My concern with the Eon is that it may be a bit soft for me, especially given my weight.

I also like the idea of being able to add skins easily to the Fischer skis.

Not really sure about boots and how to best match them with my goals.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Cannatonic

Re: Please help a neophyte Vermont XC skier select the right gear

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 pm

I will put in a plug for 3-pin bindings. I feel like they give me way more control over the skis than NNNBC. The boots have a huge piece of rubber sole under that is firmly attached to the ski. If you can find 75mm 3-pin boots that fit you might consider going that way. Rottefella Super Tele 3-pin bindings are actually lighter in weight than NNNBC.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Welcome Lars,

I wouldn't worry too much about your weight. Just get a ski you feel comfortable with. I've been pretty fatted up after the holidays and when I was drinking a lot of beer, and I still skied the same stuff ;) with no issues.

Either of those skis will work. Get what you like based on the features and the price.

My wife is a less experienced skier than I am, and she loves her Eons. She pretty much skis them all the time even though she has a full quiver. She doesn't like big hills, so she avoids her beefier gear but she can tackle any intermediate to difficult XC terrain with these.

If you get the Eons, learning to add some wax (if they are waxless) and having a pair of kickers is a nice addition for difficult conditions. The Fischers make that a little easier, but in the end, either will work.

Enjoy!

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm

I think either the Eon 62 (195) or Traverse (189) would be okay with NNNBC bindings. Since you have a stocky build, you'll probably eliminate some boots on fit (narrow lasts, cuffs, built-in gaiters, etc. could potentially be issues). Best to try boots on before buying.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm

The skis you have mentioned will not fit in groomed tracks. The maximum width a groomed track will fit is about 68 mm. I'll finish my reply later.

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 pm

satsuma wrote:The skis you have mentioned will not fit in groomed tracks.
Oh yeah - there's that too. :oops:

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Groomed trail does not always mean set tracks, and if if there are set tracks, you can usually ski beside them.

Lars - you should probably clarify if that is a priority.

If that is the case, the Fischer OTX 68 is the next size smaller that will squeeze in a groomed track.

Edit: I'm mistaken, no EZ skin on the 68.

Lars

Post by Lars » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t need to use tracks on the groomed trails.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:48 am

I'd be leaning towards the Eon, and a sturdy 3 pin set up.I prefer the Voile 3 pins over the Super Tele's... more durable, and if you look at the toe bale, you'll find there's better coverage of the duckbill with the Voile's.

Never skied the current Fischer's, so I can't speak from experience there. I've always found them a little more XC oriented than the Karhu/Madshus; less turny, faster bases, less grip, more camber. (Meaning older models I've skied, and scores of pairs I sold in my retail ski days).

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 am

Interesting experience for me yesterday.

Went up to trapp lodge in Stowe and rented Eons
With nnnbc.

Very cold conditions (4 deg F). Trails were very
hard and groomed. This was mostly expected.

What I did not expect was how challenging it
would be to control the Eons on that surface.

I was constantly sliding and found it very
to climb.

The descent was steep. I am a solid intermediate
Alpine skier but the downhill on this surface with
those skis defeated me.

I’m questioning how much of that was me, how
much the conditions, and how much was the skis.

Oddly perhaps, I found the kick and glide on the
small amount of flats to be very pleasant and
A great experience. Anything with pitch became
Very frustrating.