Please help a neophyte Vermont XC skier select the right gear

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Please help a neophyte Vermont XC skier select the right gear

Post by phoenix » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 am

Lars, what sort of style were you using for the turns... parallel, tele, survival, etc? One thing about Eons, and the like, is that they're really not much at holding an edge, it's just not their thing. Might need more than intermediate alpine skills to transfer that to freeheel on XCD gear, on hard snow.
I find a strong parallel technique (with a wide stance) to be MUCH stronger and stable on hard, steepish stuff. If you want to tele on it (which is very good practice), you're gonna want to make sure you're really pressuring both skis, angulate some, and only go as fast (or slow) as will keep you in control. Also would need to be comfortable with a controlled skid as you turn; those ain't carving skis.

My feeling is, as I mentioned in my above post, you'd be more solid with a sturdy 3 pin and appropriate boots.

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm

One part survival one part wedge.

I freely admit my technique needs work (this was my third time on xc skis ever)just
surprised at how little control I had.

I’ll give the 3-pin and appropriate boots a try and see how I feel on those.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Didn't know you were that new on skinnies! There will definitely be a learning curve. Even if one is an accomplished alpine skier, there's still lots to adjust with the free heels. Don't get discouraged. If possible, tagging along with some folks who are a step or two ahead of you on the light gear is a great help. And you'll always find some help here with your questions.

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Many thanks.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 pm

One other comment--with your height, I would stick with "short size" skies, ie those made in lengths where the skis made for heaviest skiers are 189-195 cm NOT 205-210 cm. I am 5'7", used to be the same weight as you. I think you will find the shorter skis, although somewhat slower, are easier to get into a wedge. A 190 cm long ski was much more maneuverable for me than my previous 200 cm skis.

I don't currently do many turns, but it's possible to do turns on virtually any ski and I used to do wedge turns on Madshus Northcape's (similar to Voss). It gets easier with more sidecut. If you want skis that would fit into tracks, some suggested skis would be the Fischer Spider 62, The Rossi BC65, or Alpina Control 64 Edge. These would all give you some margin of width in tracks, but should still be able to be turned. I don't have experience with skis wider than Alpina Discovery 68's and won't comment on those skis (beyond my comment about length).

Lars

Post by Lars » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

satsuma wrote:One other comment--with your height, I would stick with "short size" skies, ie those made in lengths where the skis made for heaviest skiers are 189-195 cm NOT 205-210 cm. I am 5'7", used to be the same weight as you. I think you will find the shorter skis, although somewhat slower, are easier to get into a wedge. A 190 cm long ski was much more maneuverable for me than my previous 200 cm skis.

I don't currently do many turns, but it's possible to do turns on virtually any ski and I used to do wedge turns on Madshus Northcape's (similar to Voss). It gets easier with more sidecut. If you want skis that would fit into tracks, some suggested skis would be the Fischer Spider 62, The Rossi BC65, or Alpina Control 64 Edge. These would all give you some margin of width in tracks, but should still be able to be turned. I don't have experience with skis wider than Alpina Discovery 68's and won't comment on those skis (beyond my comment about length).
Thanks for the advice. After much deliberation, went with excursion 88s, Fischer bcx6, and nnnbc magnums.

Can’t wait to try them to out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Welcome Lars!

I read your OP a couple of weeks ago and meant to respond.

Very exciting on your 88s and BCX6 boot. Is it the current model BCX6?

Just re-read your OP and the discussion that followed.

Though there is much- and at times heated- debate over differing techniques related to Nordic downhill skiing- I do agree about the one thing- the telemark turn is the telemark turn (though as most agree there is a lot of individual personal style from one person's actual telemark turn to another).

My point is that the fundamental technique in a telemark turn has nothing to do with whether you are skiing on XC tech, or downhill Telemark tech.

BUT- there is no question that ski equipment that is truly distance-oriented- in other words XC skiing- does not offer the support and leverage of downhill Telemark equipment.

SO- if you are used to overpowering skis with Alpine boots and and bindings- one cannot expect the same mechaincal advantage with soft, flexible XC boots and bindings. XC tech is designed to first and foremost XC ski- Telemark tech is designed to downhill ski.

If you are truly interested in skiing on XC equipment- the only real advice I can give you is to rack up some serious miles XC skiing. The more miles you put under you, the more strength and balance you will build- and the stronger and more balanced you will feel- regardless of the terrain.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks, Lilcliffy. It is the current bcx6.

My (perhaps incorrect) operating principle as an inexperienced xc/xcd skier is to approach it in a similar manner to what I did when getting into kayaking.

Everyone I talked to suggested sleek, narrow waisted kayaks and I was fairly miserable in them. I could paddle then fine, but I quickly realized that it didn’t make for an enjoyable experience. I found some significantly wider (but still high performance) craft (in this case fishing kayaks from Jackson that allowed me to marry my interests in fishing and kayaking) and enjoyed myself 1000 fold.

Something akin to that experience is what I am shooting for here with my enjoyment of downhill and hiking. Time will tell if I’m insane or not :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:55 am

Perfectly reasonable expectation; as with the kayak, you'll find something stable, maneuvarable, and fast enough to fit the sweet spot. Might be wider and shorter than you might think.

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am

After reading about your experience with the Eon's, I'm curious to see how you like the 88's. Both those ski's are on my short list for skiing out in the woods behind us in NH.