Supporting the beast.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Supporting the beast.

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 am

Yeah Harris I agree...those who can't do the deed ride a different steed....If Alpine is your thing enjoy the ride....We do just fine on minimal equipment...Your need to have bigger to make it better is fine...Enjoy! TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:40 am

Harris, I sent you a pm, not sure it went out though.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 am

Did you hear that? That was Harris' point going right over GGT's head.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

lowangle al wrote:Harris, I sent you a pm, not sure it went out though.
It must not have gone through.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

connyro wrote:Did you hear that? That was Harris' point going right over GGT's head.
Just sayin'.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm

you guys are frickin hilarious. seriously...

i love dueling banjos probly more than the next guy, but it's always refreshing to see that vid in a skiing forum. :lol:

as far as terminology and such, it is very confusing. so confusing it can cut into ski time, which is not allowable. but to me (being relatively new to downhill skiing on skinnies) tele is a religion. sure i have no real weight in this "argument", but i can tell you that spending the time learning the turn has been an epiphany for my cross-country ski experience. it is so much more fun that snowplowing my way thru life. also, it is a feeling that resonates with the soul, kind of like singing in church.

so yeah, i am smitten, and i can see how my forebearers in the past would have been smitten as well. but then again, who really gives a shit??! ain't nobody out there in the backcountry telling me how awesome my skiing is, except me of course (and my girl who i got to ski with for a couple weeks, she was impressed :D )

Harris

Post by Harris » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 pm

lowangle al wrote:That is an impressive resume Harris I never even saw a ski resort until after high school. I was never a " light is right" guy, being an early adapter to heay gear.
I wouldn't be impressed. There are a lot of guys and galls out there who have done much more BC Telemark skiing than I have. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I'm just saying I've done enough of the XC side to know what it is about.

I'm not all that up on what other folks do, but I know there are some serious hardcores out there, earning turns, skinning/hiking up and skiing minor and major BC Downhill lines free heel, including some very serious, high big lines and crazy chutes, and all who aren't shitty have my respect. Outside lift accessed, I've been more of a sampler. I've ski mountaineered, XC Backcountry etc., but admittedly I'm kinda lazy when it comes to toughing it up things. Just not my gig. I'm into toughing it down things. But my point is I can say I know what personally makes me happy. At the end of the day, doing your thing is all that matters.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Man would I kill to do this using telemarks.

Drop the volume and run it with Pretty Lights "Country Rooads" remix. Syncs perfectly. Eerily so. Awesome stuff. Perks my lizard.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 am

Harris, I was impressed with your total skiing resume , not specifically the bc part , and I was sincere. My point was that different backrounds can determine whatb we think of as telemark. To you GT is a cross country skier , to him you are a downhill skier.

I fall somewhere in the middle, I ski heavy and light and it's all xcd to me. I come from a Nordic backround and prefer the bc to the resort. I think that for the most part turns are a big thing to all of us. If you are a Nordic skier you can have a good day in the bc even when conditions aren't good for turns. If you come from an Alpine mindset you would more likely go to the resort when bc conditions are crap.

I was never part of the "light is right" crowd. I used to take shit here because I wore plastic boots with cable bindings. I am a proponent of using the right gear for the conditions and using heavier gear will enable you to have more fun(turns) in more conditions.

I don't post things to intentionally piss people off, but I guess that is going to happen when we disagree. There is nothing wrong with a civil conversation though. We will have to revisit that carved turn thing though. ;)

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm

lowangle al, thanks for posting those videos of your turns in the woods too. Makes it very easy to picture what you're talking about. I think I read in one of your posts those are logging roads in the Penn mountains. Very cool to find skiing like that.