Cleaning up/waxing old Fischers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Desmo

Cleaning up/waxing old Fischers

Post by Desmo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm

So, I finally got a chance to get out on my new to me Fischer Europa 99's today.I picked up a set of 210's on Facebook marketplace for $15. My test run after work went pretty well. No problems with the waxless kick zone, it still works pretty well....no problems climbing a few hills. Glide wasn't all that great, I need to clean these up a bit.

Can I treat the glide zone on these like I would on my waxable skis? I would apply some hot base wax, and then scrape it off to clean the bases.....then apply glide wax like I would on my other skis?

Metal edges are a bit rusty...do they require any special attention?

Thanks for any tips!

t-$

Re: Cleaning up/waxing old Fischers

Post by t-$ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm

hey there,

so take my advice worth a grain of salt, but...

it sounds like you didn't apply anything new to them before going out, like not a little glide to the tips and tails, or am i totally getting this wrong?

personally i wouldn't mess with any ironing the fishscales, but that's just me. i would probly take a good scraper to the tips and tails, like real hard and see if any old wax comes off, the usual treatment. then just hit em with a little glide over the entire base. then go ski.

but, i am a lazy waxer.

this is my first year on waxless (old, used skis) and i scraped em good, applied a couple layers of binder that i corked in hard. then scraped that, and have just been reapplying the squeezy-glide occassionaly before going out. seems to work fine for my waxless ... but again, i'm lazy. :D

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:31 pm

These skis are fairly old and well used, but I did apply some f4 to them.

I'm not going to iron the kick zone... was just gonna hit the tips and tails. I did brush them a bit too... didn't scrape them yet though. I'll give em a scraping and some glide wax and see how that goes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Yes.
You can (and should) wax the tip and tails like your waxable skis. You can also cork on some kick wax tip and tail to add a little grip if conditions warrant it; scrape and re-wax with glide wax when the waxless pattern is enough.

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for the tips guys.... much appreciated!

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm

maybe i'm oldschool, but i'd clean up the bases with a citrus-based solvent and start fresh with glide wax. ironed in on tips and tails only.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes- I would completely strip the base with a cleaner/solvent- then wax. Vigorous brushing with a brass brush before you wax makes a difference as well.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am

I scraped, and used a wax remover on them last night. I'll brush them out, and start to apply some base wax tonight.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 am

I would put a file on the edges too while you have the bases clean to get rid of the rust and burrs or at least sand paper.

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm

lowangle al wrote:I would put a file on the edges too while you have the bases clean to get rid of the rust and burrs or at least sand paper.

Thanks...will do.