My wife broke her foot during this tour and then skied over 150km with a Lisfranc fracture, she had surgery when we returned. She got the screws out in October and was telemarking on the big Alpine slopes in Austria by Thanksgiving so she will be good to go for this year's northy outings. We both used Madshus Eon skis and Rott 3-pin bindings, I used Alico ski-march boots, she used very light Garmont leather boots (too light), we had kicker skins but did not use them, not so hard to get traction with 26kg backpacks. She just bought some Crispi Svartisen boots from Mike K and tested them this past week in Austria- likes them, though that was mostly following the Oetz river i.e. flat. She will try some turns this weekend in the Dolomites. I am switching to NNN BC Magnum bindings (I can't tele anyway) and picked up a pair of Madshus Glittertind boots, they seem fine.
I spend a lot of time in Norway, I love it up there- great people and great country, shame about the weather though... All of these pics are from the final two days, fairly heavy weather the rest of the trip, much white-out, tons of snow. ^The Missus
The French Quarter (there are two cabins on this site) The last day's climb We strategically let the seven pulks leave first in the morning! Looking back at the last cabin. The ski out to the valley where the Arctic Highway and the single-track Nordland Railway is.
- XCD KNIGHT
- Posts: 1829
- Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 pm
- Location: Quebec / Vermont
- Ski style: Dancing with God
- Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, Objectives and all Asnes skis.
- Favorite boots: ALFA Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Comp
- Occupation: Full-time ski bum
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."
- XCD KNIGHT
- Posts: 1351
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
- Location: New Hampshire
- Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
- Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
- Favorite boots: T4, Alaska
- Occupation: Retro Rager-grouch
(more like freaking out than dying)
- XCD Guide
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm
- Location: Oakland County, MI
- Occupation: Construction Manager
- XCD KNIGHT
- Posts: 2251
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
- Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
- Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
- Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
- Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
- Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger
Gorgeous snow! Did you have the Eon wax or the Omnitrack?
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.