What skis for a sort of beginner older bloke!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tctele

What skis for a sort of beginner older bloke!

Post by tctele » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:25 am

Hi All

Quick background so hopefully you can help.

Well I'm 60 now and haven't skied for 10 years. I was very fortunate back then as ski-ing was my life, literally. I swore I'd never go back but guess what for last year or so she's been calling me back!

Ok, so here's what I used to ski on. Movement Gladiators and Flames for work days and Nomads for days off in big powder coupled with T1Race and R8's. I did ski a lot of ski's back then but the ones mentioned were the ones that suited me. Tried NTN's when they came out and it didn't suit my style. I'm the same weight and build as I was but need to get a lot fitter so I'm giving myself a 9 month training stint.

So the question is what ski's to get now as I haven't a clue. I'm thinking realistically something easier to turn these days softer underfoot and around the 170cm mark. I'm classing myself now as a beginner as I haven't skied for a long time. I live in the UK so availability needs to be in Europe.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Tony

Memories.....
My last year.png

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: What skis for a sort of beginner older bloke!

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 am

Hey Tony,

Not sure what's easily available in the UK, but what about alpine SL skis...? They are super easier to find around 165-170cm and they turn like crazy... Just put your R8s on them...

Fatter skis like in your picture require lot of energy to drive them... And if you want something even softer, try SL or All-Mountain skis with piste rocker...

Tele will always call you back... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

You're going to pick it up again faster than you think.

tctele

Post by tctele » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks both, I've just started looking at the Movement Icon range but not sure how stiff they are, the 'cut' seems similar to what I used to ski on but open to any suggestions. I was (suppose I still am) also a ski tech so prone to a wood core ski as well with a good p tex base.

Funny you should say about maybe it'll come back faster than I think, did a few exercises over the last week, got the balance board out of the loft which was a laugh to say the least lol. No power at all on the back foot so I need to write out a plan. I can still after all this time feel what it's like to tele, serene.