NNNBC boot for wide feet

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
niles

NNNBC boot for wide feet

Post by niles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Am looking for a NNNBC boot that doesn’t massacre my wide feet. So far no luck; if they are wide enough they are too long and vice versa. I’ve tried a bunch of different brands, which, as it turns out, all share the same outsole. So is there really any choice?

Being in downstate NY snow is a sometime thing, meaning I’m an occasional skier, mostly breaking trail in moderately rolling to flat terrain with an occasional foray into prepared tracks. Am not looking for concrete blocks best suited to polar expeditions but rather something with moderate ankle support and some flex in the sole. Input welcome, thx.

Setup: Åsnes USGI surplus skis (210), Rottefella manual NNNBC bindings.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: NNNBC boot for wide feet

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Excellent question and thread Niles.

I don't have wide feet- so the width of NNNBC boots has never been an issue for me.

What about foot volume? Do you have low-volume or large-volume feet?

Have you ever measured your instep vs. the length of your foot?

For decades my wife though her problem was that her feet were wide- as it turns out she has large-volume feet. Her foot length should fit a 40EU, but she needs at least a 41EU to fit her foot and instep properly. (She is an expert downhill skier that for decades has suffered in boots that were sized by length- not volume- we have fixed that too.)

My point is that you may have more success with sizing based on your instep measurement- versus your foot length.

I have the opposite problem- I have a low volume foot. My foot- based on length- should be a 42-42.5EU- but some boots are so large volume I would need a 41EU in order to prevent heel lift- but, a 41EU is too short for my feet.

The reports and tests suggest that Crispi's NNNBC boots may be the largest volume - (Which is partly why I have avoided the expense of ordering/returning them). There are US Crispi dealers- I would think you could order a pair and return them easily if they did not fit (I am in Canada- ordering from the US is not a problem- returning it is a major hassle).

Also- you should get good info on this thread- there are a number of experienced skiers on this thread that have had to give up on NNNBC boots due to their wide feet...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

niles

Post by niles » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Interesting... how does one take an instep measurement?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 am

Measure the distance from the outside corner of your heel, up and over your instep, and back to the opposite corner of your heel. If this measurement is longer than the length of your foot (i.e. Mondopoint measurement), than you may well find a better fit using your instep measurement, than your foot length. Having a boot that is a little long is not a problem as long as you are not getting heel lift and toe/metatarsal pinching.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm

My wife reported that Fischer boots are wider in the toe box than the Rossignol boots. She was comparing 75mm boots (Fischer BC675 vs Rossi BCX12) but I'm guessing their NNNBC boots use similar toe boxes.

littlevikingca

Post by littlevikingca » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

I would suggest trying Alfa boots with an "Active Fit" (Advance, Perform, Core) if you are able to find them.

for reference, I have a medium volume/wide foot (28.5 cm long, max width equals 11 cm).

I'm a consistent size 45 in most European footwear (Lowa hiking boots, Gaerne cycling shoes, ski boots). Ski specific boot expereince includes Merrell Matrix touring/light telemark boots (also Merrell hiking shoes), Crispi D-Racer double leather telemark boots, the equivalent Mondo-Point size in Crispi CXP plastic boots. Obviously my examples are "ancient" history but (big assumption coming..) if the Crispi last remains the same, I would rank the snugness of the ski spectrum width/volume (from tightest to less tight) as follows:

Crispi- please take this at face value as they are obviously double boots with lots of buckles- these I would wear with a single pair of light/medium socks to achieve a snug/very snug fit. Heel lift is controlled by both the heel counter and straps, so not directly comparable. Perhaps others have experience with both the older boots and more recent Crispi NNN BC styles to suggest whether the last or "non-double" boots are built on a wider/higher volume last-my experience in this regard may not be useful/valid for your purposes.

Merrell -retained the original insoles, laced boots, room for double socks if desired/required. This is offered as a reference if you've tried Merrell footwear.

Alfa Advance- I ordered my Alfa Advance boots by mail. Using Alfa's "foot length plus 1.5 cm" recommendation would have put me into a 46. I went with the size 45 (equated to foot length plus 1 cm). (as a further bit of info, I'm consistently a UK 10.5 in dress shoes (also typically translated into 45) but Alfa's chart suggests that their 45 is about a UK 11).

Alfa state that their BC boots have an "Active Fit" -quoting their description: "More volume in the forefoot guarantees comfortable and warm feet. The round heel grip helps to minimize the risk of blisters".

My first impression was that perhaps the boots might be too roomy -felt slightly less snug than I would like in the heel and acres of room in the toe box- width , height and length. I replaced the insoles with Superfeet green high arch (best compromise with my medium arch) which brought my heel up into the "grasp" of the heel counter. Overall, with one medium or one medium/one heavy sock combination the result is a snug warm boot- very comfortable for cross country skiing.

Conclusion: Based on my experience the Alfa size 45 fits comfortably "wide"and their size chart is correct in suggesting that it is a generous 45 -ie: perhaps close to a UK 11/US 12.

niles

Post by niles » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Thx for the info. Fischer boots did not work for me; again, too tight or too long. I'll investigate the Alfas, tho they have a couple of strikes against them: a) they don't appear to be available in the US, making any returns a serious hassle, and b) they are really expensive.

littlevikingca

Post by littlevikingca » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Yes, the Advance is quite expensive. The Perform and Core are more reasonable (but not cheap).

Cheers,

Dave K

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

I have EEE wide, very large volume (i.e. instep) feet with narrower heels. Last year I rented NNN-BC Alpina 1600 boots and really liked their fit. Not sure if they make them anymore, but may be they use the same last for their similar current offerings?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 am

agree, I had a pair of BC1600 and they were really nice boots, a bit wider than the Alaska. But the widest NNNBC I have tried, and also the best quality by far, was the Lundhags, they have to be ordered from Europe:

http://www.lundhags.com/Products/Nordic ... Skate-Boot

I eventually migrated to 3-pin and Crispi Antarctics, because they can be stretched much wider than any NNNBC boot.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)