and now....the rain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: and now....the rain

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

We're next. The best bc XC skiing in years, coming to an end. Here we go.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 am

yeah woods, looks like you guys are getting it worse than us, maybe way way worse!

trading in your skis for ice skates? might be worth it! :lol:

drive safe east coasters!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Well, I just skied up the local hill then did my two lift-assisted rides for my three run minimum. I'm soaked. Everything's soaked. No one there. One of the biggest weekends of the winter for the ski are coming up and it's going to pour rain and then go to 2 degrees. I feel for the economic impact here.

The skiing up was actually very pleasant the snow was perfect for fast fishscale K&G

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 pm

ouch, yeah, this climate change thing....wacky weather and shifting economic markets. at least this one went through pretty quick. we already have an inch of new snow since this morning. not a lot, but at least its not above freezing. we lost a lot of snow also though...i think everyone in the east is in the same boat. hang in there!

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am

Yeah, 2 feet of snow gone in 2 days here in NH. Oh well,l we always get a January raw anyway, then most of our snow comes after. Had some great early season xc/bc skiing, now it's gonna be studded fatbike season till the next dump. Sucks I just got bindings on my S112's, went out last night in the rain, in places it was just slush on top of water, can't wait to really give them hell... Last year I skied until mid April, so still plenty of season left.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Bike rides in sunny warm conditions four days in a row. Never have sunny warm conditions been so depressing :?
We keep looking for skiable snow in the high canyons. Packed snow available at the resorts in relatively poor conditions but thin cover and nothing skiable in the woods. :(

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 am

Had some decent snow over the weekend here in the Burlington area, but we had to go for high ground as all of the low lying river trails and surrounding fields were flooded.
eaglemtn4.jpg
eaglemtn3.jpg
eaglemtn2.jpg
eaglemtn1.jpg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Went from 35 inches to about 17 inches.....but....I say but....it ain;t boiler cause the fusion of snow to sleet and rain made for a soft hardpack..er...Anyway shut your eyes and see....everything rounded....all covered....very soft hardpack conditions....So far longer has been better than shorter for skinnies....and all is well...TM

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 am

well, we've been getting more snow for a couple days to cover up the ice from last week. nothing like the nice pics from VT! supposed to warm up again and be in the mid 40's by the weekend :(

i guess this is how winter goes. we are lucky to have had consistent snow though, so i guess i shant complain. the usgi's are awesome on this crud, so i am also thankful that i popped on those and have them as my demolition ski. nothing like ice under an inch! have fun and enjoy the weather...

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 am

This soft boiler is decent for cruising....Been doing that but "Whips" have re appeared...Several of us were wearing big grins from the top of a Highland Ridge on low to moderate steeps when the hands had to come up...elbows out...poles in defense mode...leather knickers helpful or I'd be writing in falsetto....But the Nature of the beast was outstandingly beautiful with water ice in trees and a dollop of snow on all branches....Crossing a wild stream with moving ice and jams was pretty sketchy....but those trees adross the stream and those jams assured passage...heh...Then the Krumholtz like proliferation was daunting and energy wilting....Food was great...Bacon...Venison...Veggies and cheese....Beer! Ahhhhh....TM