The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by anemic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am

Pretty photos thanks for sharing. So that predicted 4-6 footer became 8-10 inches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am

anemic wrote:...So that predicted 4-6 footer became 8-10 inches?
No, Porkies has 4-6 feet (and counting) up high. We (hurons) have not gotten nearly as much. We are at 20-30 inches with more on the way this week. Once the LES starts coming out of the north more than the wast, we will get ours!

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 am

NICE!
Call it Nordic Freeride

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Lots of new snow up this way. It's COLD so the fresh, deep, soft snow is very slow. As a result, low-angle is not happening and there's just not enough snow for the steeps yet. Great for climbing with scales though.
0106181321b.jpeg
Snow gauge says it's still relatively thin.There's close to 2 feet of LES but there's no base, so it's bottomless, even on fat skis. We have a much needed warm-up expected to arrive this week followed by a good storm. That should whip things into shape for next weekend.
0106181429.jpg
Looking down towards lake Superior. There's lots of blow-downs, branches and other debris lurking just under the surface, so it's still pretty thin.

Digger

Post by Digger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Simply lovely. LES is such a cool thing.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm

We had a modest warmup and rain event last week which FINALLY set up the base. Over the last couple days, we've gotten at least 12 inches of the lightest fluffiest LES I've seen in a while. Superb skiing! Another warmup for the rest of this week into the 30's and then a "Colorado Low" is expected to swing into our area. These storms usually tap Gulf of Mexico moisture and produce a shit-ton of snow. They are calling for a foot from the system and then who knows how much LES on top! It's been literally 3 years since we've had one of these storm, so it's a very welcome change.

View from porch of ski cabin:
1718c.jpg
It was a sunny and cold day. Snow and sun was spectacular. Photos don't do it justice of course:
0117a.jpg
Great snow and it's actually deep!
1718b.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Breaking out the Vectors yet Conny? If you are, is it filled in enough for the downhills? I still have a dent in my knee cap from a time I caught a tip going downhill in 2 feet of UP fresh. I hit a rock with my knee, it probably only had 2" of cover and we were playing last one to the bottom. I saw stars, but I hit it flat to flat. It hurt, but skied all day. No damage, but that dent in my knee cap is still there.
I love skiing in the UP, gouges in skis, dents in me, but a very cool place to be.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 am

hey yoopers...

any recommendations on where to stay during telefest? i can always hit up the old fraternity in houghton and couchsurf, but i think it would be more fun to stay closer to the action. hopefully it's not too late to get a room/couch. any suggestions welcome, thanks!

t-$

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am

t-$ wrote:hey yoopers...

any recommendations on where to stay during telefest? i can always hit up the old fraternity in houghton and couchsurf, but i think it would be more fun to stay closer to the action. hopefully it's not too late to get a room/couch. any suggestions welcome, thanks!

t-$
One page back in this thread has the info you are looking for:
connyro wrote:Fish: Midwest Telefest is Feb 9-11

Lodging is thin, unless you want to camp. This motel in Silver City is pretty much it for mainstream lodging: https://www.americinn.com/hotels/mi/silvercity

You can rent cabins/yurts from the DNR but those fill up pretty quickly (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html)
and
Askel wrote:Image

I suspect these numbers are slightly optimistic, but I couldn't find the bottom today. Today was as good as I'd ever expect the Porkies to be, and it's still only December.

And yeah fisheater, telefest is definitely worth the trip if you can make it.

In addition to the AmericInn, the Konteka isn't too far away (AND YOU CAN GO BOWLING TOO!!!): http://exploringthenorth.com/konteka/motel.html

I think these guys stay open year 'round too:
http://www.lakeofthecloudsresort.com/

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am

sheesh, thanks connyro. obviously i have amazing observation skills and memory. hope to see you up there in a couple weeks...

so as somebody who knows these places well, what are my options for car sleeping? do you think i would get hassled if i slept in the car in the porkies, or outside of the ski area? thanks again!
Last edited by t-$ on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.