and now....the rain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: and now....the rain

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 pm

mmmmmmm, venison. too bad they're all getting tb and zhd or whatever it is. yay for deers! those whips are popping back up here too damnit!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 am

Touring is in....Went in a couple of miles with Telewheels and Issa a transplant from...Pico? down near Killington...Think she did lots of racing....Seemed the snow was a bit more sketchy but found out that was probably due to going last and now and then hitting their tracks....Wax has been excellent and going anywhere is easy and fun to the extent that one can be a rubber-neck most of the time....The e99's when up in the speed zone comes around well (MOST) of the time and the gliders allow speed....Without speed your gonna get treed....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm

I have been back in Ak. for a week and got in one day on some lousy hard packed trails at lower elevations, higher up things were windblown and poor. Then the temps went up to 40F with a little rain and more wind and now temps are dropping and no new snow in the forecast.

Meanwhile back East in Pa. I think I'd have a better chance of getting some turns in with the recent dump they got.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

ouch, laa! :?

a buddy of mine who is a fatbiker in fairbanks sent a pic from his car thermometer...39 above the other day! he was a bit miffed...

hope things improve for you up there!

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 am

hahahah,

just thought i'd share this interesting and out-of-date article. anybody ski on these or try the app??

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

i guess i don't really understand what its spose to do...

Lars

Post by Lars » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am

Here's a blurb that may help explain it:

This app is ski-specific and works in conjunction with an embedded radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip in Madshus ski construction. The camber height, flex and other specs of each ski are loaded into a global digital database allowing you to select the right skis for your specific profile. The app then let's you customize performance whenever you head out on to the snow thanks to the embedded wax helper; you can also choose the right ski for conditions, to pair with certain waxes or course profiles, and track your workouts.

I downloaded the app and played with it a little.

You have to set up an account (name, email, birthdate, height, weight).

You can then add a pair of skis. You have to add skis by serial number, so at that point I was stumped. The sub-menus don't open unless you have added skis.

You have options for the following:

Wax helper
Tracking
Activities
News
Social Media

I have used an app called Strava and an Apple watch to track my runs for a while now, so I just kept using it on my ski outings.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am

t-$ wrote:hahahah,

just thought i'd share this interesting and out-of-date article. anybody ski on these or try the app??

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

i guess i don't really understand what its spose to do...
I don't know about the app, but that was a terrible article about cross country skiing in general. Who would ever start xc skiing after reading it? I think they called it an excersize in suffering

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 am

lowangle al wrote: ...I don't know about the app, but that was a terrible article about cross country skiing in general. Who would ever start xc skiing after reading it? I think they called it an excersize in suffering
Agreed. It seemed to rely on the sure knowledge that its readers--at least secretly--hate exercise and hate the outdoors. I know it was meant to be funny, and would likely be (to all who secretly hate exercise and the outdoors).

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:17 am

yeah, i agree with you, it seemed like an article written for the yoga mat crowd (what i call people who want to seem like they are active, but they really just like to buy techy gear that sits in the closet. oh and of course, they look really good). but to each his own, i guess!

so yesterday was awesome, even though temps were over 40 F here. it was like spring skiing! the grand traverse ski club held the 2nd annual slalom race last night at hickory hills. a lot of fun to watch, as i had several students racing and they were tearing it up! one of the girls ended up finishing pretty well which was fun to see.

even more fun was the "backcountry" there which was awesome in the soft mush. i took the eons out for their first real hill workout. i seriously love those skis and am not sure i will ski on my others very much unless its iffy. before heading over to hickory i went and lapped a quick 5k on the groomers at vasa for a warm up. that part sucked actually. with temps so high i had to stop at the sto and get some red wax which i have up until now been studiously avoiding. but i had to. so i chalked on a couple thin layers in the parking lot before heading out. and i slipped really, really badly for the first few km's. stopped partway thru and hit em again which helped a little.

so then i drive over to hickory and before putting em back on my feet i just decide to take a page from the lilcliffy wax manual and hit the whole base with wax. first time i ever did that, but honestly, it made them ski normal! once waxed tip-to-tail i hit the disc golf course and the other back hills areas all night long. occasionally i'd pop out and cheer the kids on and watch a few skiiers, then shoot back down into the trees. what a fun night. i don't know how many real good turns i put together, but way more than usual and i felt like i had the control i have been looking for. i'm not going to get ahead of myself and claim, "i can tele"...but the turns are there and the speed is increasing. i'm also getting more comfortable changing the lead at speed which is just frightening still. looking back up after a few of my runs and my s-curves actually look like i kinda know what i'm doing! beyond all that, hickory hills really has it for us xcd nerds. yes, we could use a few hundred or thousand feet more of vert, but for around here that place is a gold-mine for xc bc folks. i don't mind telling you. everyone knows about the place and there was only one set of xc tracks i came across in the woods yesterday so i'm not worried that we will be overrun by the yoga mat crowd!

i really like that you can choose your own adventure out there. last night i did long switchbacks up and around the nubs, and the glades are thin enough that any line you want to take down is there for you. this is good for somebody like me because the low angle stuff is still plenty challenging, but any look around and you can find more challenging lines if you want them. it's nice to have a fun-park that i can grown into and will be challenging me for awhile.
image (57).jpg
image (56).jpg
image (58).jpg
image (59).jpg
image (62).jpg
image (61).jpg
image (60).jpg

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 am

t-$ wrote:yeah, i agree with you, it seemed like an article written for the yoga mat crowd (what i call people who want to seem like they are active, but they really just like to buy techy gear that sits in the closet. oh and of course, they look really good). but to each his own, i guess!

so yesterday was awesome, even though temps were over 40 F here. it was like spring skiing! the grand traverse ski club held the 2nd annual slalom race last night at hickory hills. a lot of fun to watch, as i had several students racing and they were tearing it up! one of the girls ended up finishing pretty well which was fun to see.

even more fun was the "backcountry" there which was awesome in the soft mush. i took the eons out for their first real hill workout. i seriously love those skis and am not sure i will ski on my others very much unless its iffy. before heading over to hickory i went and lapped a quick 5k on the groomers at vasa for a warm up. that part sucked actually. with temps so high i had to stop at the sto and get some red wax which i have up until now been studiously avoiding. but i had to. so i chalked on a couple thin layers in the parking lot before heading out. and i slipped really, really badly for the first few km's. stopped partway thru and hit em again which helped a little.

so then i drive over to hickory and before putting em back on my feet i just decide to take a page from the lilcliffy wax manual and hit the whole base with wax. first time i ever did that, but honestly, it made them ski normal! once waxed tip-to-tail i hit the disc golf course and the other back hills areas all night long. occasionally i'd pop out and cheer the kids on and watch a few skiiers, then shoot back down into the trees. what a fun night. i don't know how many real good turns i put together, but way more than usual and i felt like i had the control i have been looking for. i'm not going to get ahead of myself and claim, "i can tele"...but the turns are there and the speed is increasing. i'm also getting more comfortable changing the lead at speed which is just frightening still. looking back up after a few of my runs and my s-curves actually look like i kinda know what i'm doing! beyond all that, hickory hills really has it for us xcd nerds. yes, we could use a few hundred or thousand feet more of vert, but for around here that place is a gold-mine for xc bc folks. i don't mind telling you. everyone knows about the place and there was only one set of xc tracks i came across in the woods yesterday so i'm not worried that we will be overrun by the yoga mat crowd!

i really like that you can choose your own adventure out there. last night i did long switchbacks up and around the nubs, and the glades are thin enough that any line you want to take down is there for you. this is good for somebody like me because the low angle stuff is still plenty challenging, but any look around and you can find more challenging lines if you want them. it's nice to have a fun-park that i can grown into and will be challenging me for awhile.
Man that looks fuuuuuun. I’m in the process of scouting out some areas with a bit more of an open feel so I can learn to get my turn on too [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk