22designs Lynx TTS/NTN

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: 22designs Lynx TTS/NTN

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:10 am

24 holes??!! holy shit!! pun intended, btw. :?

i've never mounted or messed with anything than other than xc bindings, but how does the ski not break with that many holes in it?!

i got to ski with a buddy for the first time the other night and he is riding ntn. it was pretty cool to have somebody show me how they work and all the little adjusty bits. i dunno, i just really like the simplicity of nnn. ok, sorry, i don't mean to cause drift here! those look like nice bindings and maybe one day, maybe, i'll move up to heavier gear. these are tempting cause they don't look like torture devices like some of the rigs out there...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 am

bbergey wrote:I wish my bindings on Chargers could move back when snow is deep... not a good position for hard snow though.
BBergey, what you need is a pair of Freedoms... or TWO pairs of Chargers... ;)

Yep, 12 holes in each ski for the Meidjo... No place for mistakes or placement experimentation... But it's probably totally worth it if people are doing it on 1000$ skis...

Not sure about the step in function and releasability on the 22D LYNX... But here are the full resolution pictures for speculation purposes... 8-)
22 Designs LYNX NTN binding.jpg
22Designs LYNX NTN binding.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

eric.steig

Post by eric.steig » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:15 pm

So when when when do we get new (lighter, better, 3 buckle (or even 2 buckle)) boots to go with these fabulous new binding choices. I keep spending $$ on AT gear something thinking that'll make up it .. but it doesn't. I just want a TX, with a Maestrale-like ROM and walk mode!

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm

To answer a couple questions I read in the posts that went unanswered.

When Jonny is talking about moveable mount position plates on the Freedoms and Freerides, he is talking about the plate that gets mounted first that the Rott bindings then slide onto. With these plates you can easily move the binding fore and aft quite a bit. An added benefit is that with this setup the Rott bindings have a rather large but lite mount plate that requires few screws yet anchors the binding down sturdier than say a Meidjo, which have a rep for ripping screws out of the ski (supposedly solved with the 2.1 version).

To Jonny... Actually in the new Telemark Skier edition that mentions the new 22 Designs Lynxs it also reviews a 22 Designs mount plate that supposedly works with a large number of bindings, NTN, 75 mil etc.

Also, another cool thing about this binding is that it looks like the structure comprising of the TTS pins is burlier than the Meidjo. And if you look at the base of the binding, the whole thing is a one piece, cast aluminum plate, which will alleviate the weakness of the Meidjo that causes the toe piece rear holes to pull out of the top sheets, which is a much-needed design change I suggested to M-Designs' Pierre a couple years ago, but he hasn't done, but instead on the 2.1 added some 2 screw each rails to anchor the rear of the toe piece; I suspect he is still trying to recoup up-front production costs and can't afford a complete re-design change yet). Plus, unlike the Meidjo but like the Axl, Vice and Outlaw you will get three different activity settings to adjust the flex point that is changed easily with a quick pin (you can see it in the picture, FWD of the spring plate). That is something no other NTN offers besides the Outlaw. Simple but very, very cool feature.

Have no idea how that second heal releases or is activated, but it looks like you it will be accomplished at the second heel, which means you don't have to release the TTS pins to de-activate or re-cock the second heal, a design limitation of the Meidjo (and a feature on the Meidjo that requires an added plastic plate thing secured by two screws and more breakable parts to deal with). Safety-wise it probably has the same release characteristics of the Meidjo.

Snow Buildup is probably kept in check with the spring plate just as it is on the Outlaw which also uses a spring plate.

It looks like the binding is still in prototype phase, but if it is 22 Designs, you know it will be a very good binding, tested by some real hardcores with most bugs worked out.

I would suspect that the main thing keeping telemark boots heavy is the lack of profitable market. If you had carbon fiber cuffs and intermoulding, which I'm not even sure is possible, in the lowers in the places that are low flex (like the heels) it would drop the weight significantly but up the costs substantially. How many would pay $1200.00 for a pair of boots? $600.00 seems the upper price point. Rando gear is getting pretty light, but there is no warmth there, or durability, whereas durable AT boots are still pretty damn heavy. My Scarpa AT boots are only nominally lighter than my TX Pros, but then they don't have bellows or the structure requirements for all that, and are way colder. Afraid it will be a long time before a lite real duckbill or NTN boot hits the market. And at what point does extreme range of walk-more movement get to be a silly feature. Teleboots can flex at the toes/At can't, and you are still walking around in a pair of ski boots; they aren't meant for trotting around the dog park with Fido.

http://www.telemarkskier.com/first-look ... ng-plates/

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 am

When did the Freedoms add this? As far as I knew the Freeride is the only one with a mounting plate.
Harris wrote:To answer a couple questions I read in the posts that went unanswered.

When Jonny is talking about moveable mount position plates on the Freedoms and Freerides, he is talking about the plate that gets mounted first that the Rott bindings then slide onto. With these plates you can easily move the binding fore and aft quite a bit. An added benefit is that with this setup the Rott bindings have a rather large but lite mount plate that requires few screws yet anchors the binding down sturdier than say a Meidjo, which have a rep for ripping screws out of the ski (supposedly solved with the 2.1 version).

http://www.telemarkskier.com/first-look ... ng-plates/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 am

Harris wrote:To Jonny... Actually in the new Telemark Skier edition that mentions the new 22 Designs Lynxs it also reviews a 22 Designs mount plate that supposedly works with a large number of bindings, NTN, 75 mil etc.
Yep, Telebuddies have been around for a while... The thing is that you have to remount the whole binding to try different adjustments... On the Freerides and the XCelerators, it's so easy to just slide the bindings on the slopes... And with the upcoming MOVE ELECTRIC, you won't even need any tools... I can sense the future here... Automatic plate adjustment on the spot, responding to sensors inside the skis... ;)
bbergey wrote:When did the Freedoms add this? As far as I knew the Freeride is the only one with a mounting plate.
Oops, I meant Freerides... ;)

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 am

[/quote]
Yep, Telebuddies have been around for a while... Automatic plate adjustment on the spot, responding to sensors inside the skis... ;) [/quote]

Cool! (I think)
bbergey wrote:When did the Freedoms add this? As far as I knew the Freeride is the only one with a mounting plate.
Oops, I meant Freerides... ;)[/quote]

Ah!

Harris

Post by Harris » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Got confused. I don't know what the Freedom uses.
IMG_1080.jpg

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Harris wrote:Got confused. I don't know what the Freedom uses.
Sorry about the confusion... There is no plate on the Freedom...
I just typed the wrong suffix after "Free"... My neurons don't always follow my thoughts... 8-)

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Harris wrote:
Got confused. I don't know what the Freedom uses.
That’s a Freeride