and now....the rain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Young Satchel

Re: and now....the rain

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:04 pm

t-$ wrote:hahaha :lol:

i'm not laughing at you, i promise...your comment just struck me as very funny! i feel your pain though. i wanna get out on the eons and unfortunately they ain't water skis...

it's like sailing in some ways. this summer (my first season sailing) i wanted to get on the water no matter what. so everyday, no matter what the conditions, i would take my little homemade boat out on the water. sails up, and me either paddling along or just sitting there getting sunburnt drinking beer.

either way it was fun, but we can't ski in these conditions, otherwise i would be walking around the woods with skis on.

kinda sounds like my normal ski technique anyway, maybe i should try it :?:
LOL. No offense taken at all. We all in the same (waterlogged) boat here. How’s that for sailing??? [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Im officially sick of ice skiing. Went out a few times last week, hit some frozen, beat up XC groomed 2 weeks ago stuff and some postholed lumpy hiking trails on the little Spider 62s, sorta had a blast, frozen crap was just grippy enough to get around, I told myself it was making me a better skier.
Today it was boiler plate everywhere, very tough to get any real stride, could've used a bit of wax maybe. Definitely an exercise in edging on ice. Still experience points I suppose but Im sick of it.... We got snow coming down now though!!!!! See what it looks like in the AM, might actually get a few inches of skiable something.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 am

yeah, me too :(

***** northern michigan conditions report *****

straight shitty today.

raining outside (still) right now and temps are at 33F. forecast is for dropping temps and leading to ice in the entire northern mitten. school just got cancelled (yay), but bummed that i won't be able to get out and enjoy it. they are saying that it's supposed to switch over to snow, but we will see. that would make for a fun/interesting day out there, like you have been experiencing 12g.

is canada still accepting applications? i hear it snows a lot up there...

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 am

High of 49 today with a flood warning and nary a snowflake appearing on my 10-day forecast. Headed to bummersville; Population: Me :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 am

yeah, sorry man. hoping things get better for ya. the rain from yesterday and this morning has now turned to snow and we have dust over ice. just when i got all excited i see the forecast is calling for one day of cold and some lake effect snow, then warming again to the high 40's for 4 days, possibly even warmer at times.

Welcome to Bummersville!
Pop: 2

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am

Expecting about 0.5" of rain and temps > 40F today in northwestern VT. Everything has a shell of ice on it right now from last night's rain. Today should wipe out most of whatever snow we have left. Hopefully 3-6" over Sunday and Monday, but that won't help me on my weekend trip to Lake Placid coming up :/

Maybe the snow will be so soft and thin that the groomed ski center trails will be better than hiking trails.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am

Lars, it was a rainy weekend in Lake Placid 30 years ago that prompted my move to Alaska.

Those trails in the High Peaks area can be hazardous when they are icy. You may be better off on the groomed trails or consider snowshoeing or hiking.

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:53 pm

lowangle al wrote:Lars, it was a rainy weekend in Lake Placid 30 years ago that prompted my move to Alaska.

Those trails in the High Peaks area can be hazardous when they are icy. You may be better off on the groomed trails or consider snowshoeing or hiking.
Sounds like sage advice.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Lars wrote:
lowangle al wrote:Lars, it was a rainy weekend in Lake Placid 30 years ago that prompted my move to Alaska.

Sounds like sage advice.
I was given that advice by the Ranger up there when he heard me swearing after I went off the trail, hit a tree, almost impaled myself on a broken branch and busted my sunglasses that were in my pocket.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 am

Winds are howling outside and the temp is dropping...@18o now...Excellent as that should make for some excellent boiler....Should be able to cruise long distance so new areas will open for exploration...Only did the Black Hills up by Barton once...Trying to get the boys up there....decent cliffs...bear caves....drop down to Runaway Pond that ran away...TM