tele ski makers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

tele ski makers

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 am

hey!

so what companies are out there making telemark specific skis? it would be great to have a list that i (we, people) could just go thru and visit their websites to see what they have. maybe avoid listing specific skis and just give manufacturer names?

thanks! there are so many companies out there that i have never heard of! oh, and please hope for some snow on the 3rd coast so i can get out there and quit posting this endless stream of drivel....

TomH

Re: tele ski makers

Post by TomH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 am

No one makes a tele-specific ski anymore (from a downhill perspective), nor should they. The last iteration of "tele" skis were the exact same as their alpine counterparts with a different top-sheet, so it doesn't make sense for ski makers to duplicate their inventory for no reason. All modern tele equipment (not talking xcd here) is capable of driving normal alpine skis, so long as you match up the ski characteristics with your boot/binding/typical snow combo. If you're looking to run pins/leather, then use the appropriate xcd-oriented skis for that.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am

I second Tom's post regarding downhill skis.

The only manufacturer that I am aware of that is focused on Nordic skis (XC/XCD and downhill/AT/Telemark) is Asnes. All of Asnes' line is designed for backcountry skiing (not that it couldn't be used on-piste). Asnes still makes one ski that is a downhill ski that is clearly focused on downhill-Telemark skiing, the Falketind 68 (this is the replacement of the Storetind- which is a bit more of a hybrid XCD ski like the FT62).

BUT- like Tom points out the rest of even Asnes' downhill skis are not designed exclusively for Telemark boots and bindings- they are backcountry downhill skis ("Alpine touring(AT)"/"Toppturski") and can have Alpine or Telemark bindings mounted on them.

Downhill skis can be mounted with Alpine bindings or Telemark bindings.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 am

Scotty Bob

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am

Woodserson wrote:Scotty Bob
RIGHT! You are correct sir! Forgot about those mind-blowing things for a moment...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

of course...

scotty bob...those things always seem to pop up randomly.

TomH

Post by TomH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm

ScottyBob - eh, forgot about them. I get their concept, but it only really would come into play on hardpack. I can lay railroad tracks on regular alpine skis with no problem on tele's, so the bobtails have no appeal to me. I'd venture he sells more of his traditional tailed skis these days, but I could be wrong.