Skiing down narrow, steep, switchbacky hiking trails

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
martin2007

Re: Skiing down narrow, steep, switchbacky hiking trails

Post by martin2007 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Hey hrishi, sounds like you're really getting into this! I0th Mtn huts are a treasure! I'm from Ontario, Canada, spending the winter in Granby, CO., tele-ing and BC XC skiing in some great places within 30 Mins. of here. Can suggest some good trails
in Grand County if you're ever heading over this way.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 am

martin2007 wrote:Hey hrishi, sounds like you're really getting into this! I0th Mtn huts are a treasure! I'm from Ontario, Canada, spending the winter in Granby, CO., tele-ing and BC XC skiing in some great places within 30 Mins. of here. Can suggest some good trails
Would absolutely love to- I have been searching for nearby ski trails in northern CO. So far I have stuck to Brainard lakes, but really looking forward to explore more areas.

HBS

Post by HBS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am

hrishi wrote:
martin2007 wrote:Hey hrishi, sounds like you're really getting into this! I0th Mtn huts are a treasure! I'm from Ontario, Canada, spending the winter in Granby, CO., tele-ing and BC XC skiing in some great places within 30 Mins. of here. Can suggest some good trails
Would absolutely love to- I have been searching for nearby ski trails in northern CO. So far I have stuck to Brainard lakes, but really looking forward to explore more areas.
Beaver reservoir has some good easy trails, if you want to get adventurous you can take a old jeep road down to peaceful valley and then switchback up the sourdough trail back to your car. Wild basin is fun too but might not have enough snow lower down. You can also ski up past the Loch in RMNP but get there early after a good snow because there are a loooot of hikers beating up those trails.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks, HBS, I will look them up!

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Hoks are amazing XC and downhill skis- if the snow is deep and soft- I find them virtually useless on dense, consolidated snow.

Another technique to consider is using a single wooden pole- "tiak"/"lurk"- a single wooden pole can be used as both an outrigger and to create a tripod of balance- as well as be used as a brake. With a "tiak" I can ski almost extreme terrain with nothing but soft XC boots on. When the slope is moderate I stride and surf my way thrugh step turns and telemarks- when the slope gets extreme- down goes the "tiak" outrigger!

You ask what gear would we use- but what gear are you skiing on these trails? Skis? Boot? Bindings?
How would a single telescopic pole extended to max length work as a tiak in these situations? The other pole could be lashed to the pack.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Update- got a new pair of 165 cm Madhshus Epochs that were on sale for my wife. She hasn't skiied on them yet but the flex is incredibly softer than the S-88s. Will mount 3-pin cables on them. This way the skis could be used with leather boots (which are next on the list) for gentler terrain and with the T4s (she already has) for steeps.

I will take the S-88s- at 170 cm, they are 10 cm short for my weight (158 lb), but I think it will help on the narrow trails I mentioned in the OP.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 am

hrishi wrote:Update- got a new pair of 165 cm Madhshus Epochs that were on sale for my wife. She hasn't skiied on them yet but the flex is incredibly softer than the S-88s. Will mount 3-pin cables on them. This way the skis could be used with leather boots (which are next on the list) for gentler terrain and with the T4s (she already has) for steeps.

I will take the S-88s- at 170 cm, they are 10 cm short for my weight (158 lb), but I think it will help on the narrow trails I mentioned in the OP.
I said a long time ago that if you want to ski better ski your wife's skis. You are better off with skis too short than too long IMO.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:54 pm

lowangle al wrote: I said a long time ago that if you want to ski better ski your wife's skis. You are better off with skis too short than too long IMO.
Point taken! :)
Can't wait to try them.