Loose switchback pivot

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Loose switchback pivot

Post by connyro » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Have any of you Voile Switchback binding users experienced a laterally loose pivot when in tour mode? In my well-worn SB's, my left binding has quite a bit of lateral play in the pivot. It's only noticeable in tour mode. My right binding has some play but not nearly as much as the left. I have another pair of lightly used SB's and they have no play whatsoever. Neither does my GF's moderately used SB bindings.

If you put the SB into tour mode, lift the toe piece to at least a 45 degree angle. Hold the ski down and try to wiggle the toe piece side to side. Is there just a click? A lot of movement? No movement at all?

Just curious because I had a friend who basically sawed through the free pivot axle bar in a couple of seasons of touring. I don't want that to happen to me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

anemic

Re: Loose switchback pivot

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am

wow yikes i thought the Switchback would be the perfect next binding for me. Watching this thread with interest...
Call it Nordic Freeride

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

anemic wrote:wow yikes i thought the Switchback would be the perfect next binding for me. Watching this thread with interest...
To follow-up, I contacted Voile and they got back to me right away:

"They sound like they are getting wore out. I don't think there will be a big failure while skiing, but the brass bushings inside the riser are probably wearing out. They are very durable, but they won't last forever. The pivot axle is solid stainless steel, I have not seen any fail."

I've continued to ski these bindings (several times a week) and do NOT notice any problems when skiing (neither in Tour mode nor Ski mode). I have skied these bindings several hundred days with LOTS of touring, so I'm NOT surprised they are wearing out. They have been absolute workhorses and I will be buying them again.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 pm

It sounds to me like they don't need to be replaced yet.

svartn
Favorite Skis: DPS Wailer
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2

Post by svartn » Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 am

Hi!
I came across this thread when searching online after the axle of my Switchback X2's broke - so it can happen ;) The very outermost part of the axl broke on one side while traversing up a slightly ice slope. I was suddenly on my ass, with the binding still on my foot, but no ski. Luckily not very steep terrain, and managed to stop against a tree. I don't think this would happen in downhill mode. Got no warning before it snapped of.