What it is like to be an old school, hard core tele head on Tele Tips.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

What it is like to be an old school, hard core tele head on Tele Tips.

Post by Harris » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Rock_Doc

Re: What it is like to be an old school, hard core tele head on Tele Tips.

Post by Rock_Doc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm

enticing lead in, but video not showing from nbc site - are you being censored by the man ;) .

while here, you ever get over to crystal. I've gleaned from your posts that your up in that neck of the woods.

cheers,
JT

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:12 am

Happy Birthday Harris, welcome to the club.

Digger

Post by Digger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Well it depends whether you were on leather and 3 pins when you started or came to the game recently on four buckle plastic and an upright stance. I'm 57 and have been on tele since I was in my twenties. Nordic background. I think I have been on bondage bindings 8 times in my life. I make many parallel turns on tele gear as I get a little older. Whatever gets you out and smiling is all that matters.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 am

Looks like I might have been censored. It was the SNL's Sally O'Malley Sopranos skit.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 am

Digger wrote:Well it depends whether you were on leather and 3 pins when you started or came to the game recently on four buckle plastic and an upright stance. I'm 57 and have been on tele since I was in my twenties. Nordic background. I think I have been on bondage bindings 8 times in my life. I make many parallel turns on tele gear as I get a little older. Whatever gets you out and smiling is all that matters.
Oh yeah, I was on lace up first gen Asolo Extremes, crappy-ass Asolo pins riding 210 cm Kazamas when I popped my cherry. I didn't go full plastic and cables until a decade or so later in the mid-90s.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am

fisheater wrote:Happy Birthday Harris, welcome to the club.
Thanks!

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 am

Rock_Doc wrote:enticing lead in, but video not showing from nbc site - are you being censored by the man ;) .

while here, you ever get over to crystal. I've gleaned from your posts that your up in that neck of the woods.

cheers,
JT
Haven't been to Crystal yet this year (they dropped the half-priced tickets for Summit pass holders this year). I've been skiing Alpental a couple days mid-weeks since opening; it's only 40 min away whereas Crystal is about 1.5 hrs. Might get a pass to Crystal next season though. I'm getting a bit burnt on the Summit area. Seems like Summit's owners have really let it go downhill (no pun intended), which is a bummer because you could go run laps over at a Silver Fir if the snow was too crappy for the Alpental good stuff. But instead this year Snoqualmie grooming has been minimal to almost non-existent. I heard they were down 5 Cats this season and not really concerned about it. Kinda sad.

Are you in the area?

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 am

Harris wrote:Haven't been to Crystal yet this year . . . Are you in the area?
I'm down in Oregon but got up to Crystal in early January for three days of skiing. While still pretty low tide conditions, we enjoyed a nice spring like day, a high clouds but warmish day, and a very soft (and of course rainy) day. I really liked that mountain and was quite impressed with the diversity of terrain - very spicy looking in many spots. The first day we did lots of laps on Rainer Express hitting the east facing slopes under that lift (Sunnyside-Memorial Forest area). On the second day, we checked out Northway and had a super long adventurous run in the afternoon, but could only get one run in over there before they closed the area. Did not make it up Chair 6 on this trip, but I that looks like it accesses some interesting terrain. Definitely want to get back to Crystal again in the near future - FUN mountain!

cheers,
JT

Digger

Post by Digger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Harris wrote:
Digger wrote:Well it depends whether you were on leather and 3 pins when you started or came to the game recently on four buckle plastic and an upright stance. I'm 57 and have been on tele since I was in my twenties. Nordic background. I think I have been on bondage bindings 8 times in my life. I make many parallel turns on tele gear as I get a little older. Whatever gets you out and smiling is all that matters.
Oh yeah, I was on lace up first gen Asolo Extremes, crappy-ass Asolo pins riding 210 cm Kazamas when I popped my cherry. I didn't go full plastic and cables until a decade or so later in the mid-90s.

Right on. Well no need to welcome you to the turn. The tele vibe is alive and well here. A lot of topics being revisited from the original TTips days. The clan has separated to three sites that I prowl. This one. telemarkeast.com and backcountrytalk. The trolling and assorted nonsense is down unless you care to go to the off topic forums.

At our tenure the stoke is there and it is more about keeping up on gear trends and encouraging people to free their heels. The gear swap scene is not as active as in the past but there are some great deals to be had for those who know what they want/need.