Telemark Down (updated:situation corrected)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: Telemark Down (updated:situation corrected)

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 am

I'm glad that the Fey Bros have resolved the situation. Frustrating. So what boots are you on, Harris?

The Fey Bros are an important part of the US tele scene. I think they are the US importers of the Crispi brand ski boots. I plan to do more with them on my future tele purchases. I've called in and spoken with Erik for some tech support for my obsolete BD bindings and he was very encouraging and helpful. I was sad to see that this expereince went down the way it did, but in the end, looks like they did their best to make it right.

My Garmont Energys are the only 26/26.5 shell in my collection at the time of purchase and I was concerned. They are tight, but it has worked out well. I understand the Scott Sinergy is the same shell, so I would order the 26/26.5 size next time, to get the same fit. I'm normally a 9/42/27, but it certainly varies.

I'm real glad you're around this forum Harris. Keep posting. Thanks.
Call it Nordic Freeride

TomH

Post by TomH » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I've bought from them a few times, and had nothing but good experiences.

Digger

Post by Digger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm surprised to see you had an issue with them but not surprised that they worked with you to correct it. They are a small shop and you have to work a bit to connect with them but once you do they are excellent. They are skiers. I have called a couple of times and they answer their mobile phones from the hill whle they are out skiing. They have always followed up.

I've placed several orders with the Fey's. They seem like they know me every time I call. I have placed orders online with no issue and they have been very helpful when I have called in with questions. I have bought skis and they drill for bindings I already have at no charge (not always). I just tell them boot size and where I want the mount.

They also helped with a couple of small group buys I put together for Rotte NTN a couple of years ago offering a small discount from published prices.

Since ORS went away they are my go to shop for tele, http://www.onionriver.com/onion-river-s ... lose-down/

I'm not ready for a teleboard, although there are a couple of riders around my local hill, but I would not doubt their customer service.

TomH

Post by TomH » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Digger wrote:I'm not ready for a teleboard, although there are a couple of riders around my local hill, but I would not doubt their customer service.
Really? down at Welch? I've never seen one in the wild in MN. Hell, I've only seen one in person once around 15 years ago out in Jackson Hole.

Harris

Post by Harris » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 am

anemic wrote:I'm glad that the Fey Bros have resolved the situation. Frustrating. So what boots are you on, Harris?
The boots I ordered (and luckily found in the right size via Clearwater Sports) are Scott Synergy's, which are the same boot as your Garmont EnerG's. And yep, after doing research it turns out they were being straight up when they said they only come in 28.5 and get a thicker footpad added to make them a 28. I was used to how Scarpa does it, which is to use one shell size for a full and half size but with completely different liner sizes. For example I have a TX Pro shell that I believe fits up to 28.5 but came with as a 27.5 with a thick 27.5 Intuition liner.

The Scott Synergy boots are really hard to find in a 27.5 or even 28, which was why I was so excited to find them but then super disappointed when the 27.5 never showed up. Good burly duckbill boots that aren't Scarpa are getting to be an endangered species. It wouldn't surprise me if Scott doesn't offer a telemark boot next year. And Scarpa's fit me horribly; I swim in some places while getting crushed in other spots so profoundly that even a boot fitter can't correct the issue fully. The old Garas were almost a perfect high cuff fit even loosely buckled; I slide into them like an old pair of Sorel's and "zip, zip, zip" and am buckled in and on my way stupid fast. But as for duckbills, I'm not sure even Crispy is going to keep offering a dedicated burly duckbill much longer. NTN is quickly becoming the only development for that niche, and although there are a lot of plusses with NTN, especially as the bindings keep evolving, having reverted back to duckbill they definitely ski way more to my liking and pleasure, and so I'm really happy to still find a duckbill boot that fits my foot well. Hopefully these will be the last boots I'll ever buy in tele. I'm getting old enough that that is a legit possibility.

asolds

Post by asolds » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:58 pm

I just had a very positive experience with Telemarkdown. Erik shipped me some Crispi world cups to try on. They arrived fast and when they turned out to be too big I shipped them back and he processed my refund the same day he received my return. Buying boots is tricky and this helped a lot.

Digger

Post by Digger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm

TomH wrote:
Digger wrote:I'm not ready for a teleboard, although there are a couple of riders around my local hill, but I would not doubt their customer service.
Really? down at Welch? I've never seen one in the wild in MN. Hell, I've only seen one in person once around 15 years ago out in Jackson Hole.
Yep! About as rare as a monoski (a couple of those at WV too). Teleboards are the ultimate winter version of slalom water skiing but I'm fine with two independent feet.

prophead

Post by prophead » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Fey Brothers have always been my favorite dealer for back country kit, highly recommended...