Racing setup advice....

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
willco99

Racing setup advice....

Post by willco99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:02 am

So I'm taking the plunge and getting a race rig this season. My plan is to race tele classic and sprint classics a few times per season and also race my local weeknight beer-league/maters series the next few seasons at least.

I came from a strong alpine background to tele about 12 years ago, raced in HS and college (many decades ago) and decided I miss bombing gates from time to time.

My question is about setting up race skis. I've been on NTN for several years. Using outlaws with Crispi WC boots for the last two seasons and absolutely love that setup.

I'm looking at a few different masters GS skis in 180-185 with 17-19m radius. The all come with race plates. Can I mount an Outlaw on an alpine race plate? I like to idea of getting the binding up off the ski on a plate but I'm not sure if or how the mounting would work. If not, I plan to mount flat.

Anyone have any experience in this setup or mounting that could lend some tips or advice would be hugely appreciated?

Thanks!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Racing setup advice....

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 am

I was planing to do the same thing... I would prefer to get a flat GS ski (there is very few of them). Or else, I would take the race plate off. It is pre-drilled for alpine bindings. The Outlaw, if I remember well, has a 6 hole pattern — same as Hammerhead (wait... my memory might put things wrong). So you won't be able to mount it on the plate... unless you drill right through the plate into the ski... not sure about that...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

anemic

Post by anemic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 am

This is such a cool idea. I just realized that our youngest has one remaining race season before he goes off to college and my wife and I could mount Tele on some GS race race boards and hit the beer league with an all Tele team. That would be sweet!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

willco99

Post by willco99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks.

The Outlaw does use the standard 22 Design 6-hole pattern.

Would it have to be screwed all the way into the ski? I know alpine bindings are only screwed into the plate itself.

I know the world cup and national team racers use plates, I am just not sure if they are custom plates or the ones that come with the race skis.

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Flat skis have gotten hard to come by, at least on sale. I removed the plate on a Rossi Hero Master 18m GS and mounted Rottefella Freerides directly to the ski without incident. I eventually had reservations about skiing that fast and had the original setup restored. The ski shop didn’t blink an eye over my direct mount.

I have also had a short plate cut of aluminum or delrin (using the original binding mounting points) and mounted telebindings to it. Skied that in bumps for years without problems too.

Lastly (maybe firstly) you can remove the plate and see where your binding screws would mount. If there’s room you can epoxy T nuts to the underside.

willco99

Post by willco99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 am

Have fun!
Also, if you haven't watched it yet there's good racing footage on livestream.com (tele ho).