Michigan Dune Schooning Jan 2018 Check In

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
t-$

Re: Michigan Dune Schooning Jan 2018 Check In

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 am

i haven't yet, but i was over there a couple weekends ago and the climb was not skiable. i think with the exposure you would have to get there right after a really good snow. but i can't confirm that. post up if you are planning to head over and i would gladly meet up with you. the dunes heading back to the lake are a lot of fun, but again, it seems like they are very finicky with how they handle snow.

anemic

Post by anemic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am

We are clearly going to need to get up to speed on sand.tele.goodwill.skis...pbbb...sadness...
Call it Nordic Freeride

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Oldbie wrote:Have any of you MI guys skiied the dune climb in Sleeping Bear?
I have read the National Lakeshore website site. It said skiers are to remain on trails, it also mentioned something about damaging delicate dune vegetation. I wouldn't want problems with NPS enforcement, I find the National Park experience a little uptight. I have had some good turns at Nordhouse Dunes, with easy access to downhills from the trails. I also managed to put myself into a couple spots better for rabbit hunting than skiing ;). While skiing Sleeping Bear would be really cool I would want to be sure I was legal. I would like to get out out of Saugutuck or Holland, those would make a better day trip for me.