Ymir Backcountry Ski Touring Lodge

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Mountain Mitch

Ymir Backcountry Ski Touring Lodge

Post by Mountain Mitch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm

We are all booked for our mid-March week at the Ymir Lodge http://www.backcountryskilodge.ca/ . It is in the Southern Selkirk Mountains, just south of Nelson BC. It’s a bit of a busman’s holiday as it’s really not too far from our home. But at least we know the conditions - we’ve had about 20 feet here so I expect at 6000 (lodge altitude) there will be a bunch! I’ll report back after the trip.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Ymir Backcountry Ski Touring Lodge

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Mitch, sounds like an awesome ski vacation. I hope you're not like me and you actually take some photos! I look forward to the reports and hopefully some photos too. I had heard of the Ymir huts before, but it was in the days I was totally lift focused. What an awesome place to tour, lots of snow, with skiing both above and below lodge elevation. I wish it was closer to me.
Have fun,
Bob

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Had a great week. South facing slopes were sun affected but still powder around if you were careful of what aspects you skiied. Group (14) mixed well. Only gear issue was one skier’s 22 Bindings (didn’t catch the model) snapped the metal heel horseshoe. Never heard of that happening before. Got him going again with parachute cord and imagination.

I’m having trouble downloading photos so I’ll try and figure that out; but I am a computer challenged type!

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 am

C1366D3E-46E1-49DE-9A1E-AE58442E6893.jpeg
4E66EB7A-A4A5-4E2A-998B-DD551F14470F.jpeg
CE002089-2CA8-46AF-A6D0-A649C0D9E8E3.jpeg
05427E07-BD66-4D83-A367-CE13134CB619.jpeg

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Mitch, that looks awesome! The terrain looks challenging, but it also looks like avalanche terrain to a guy from the Midwest who has only skied controlled terrain. It certainly looks like just an awesome place to go for a ski vacation. Appreciate it, you never know how long you or your ski friends will keep going. My friends not so much anymore. I am working on my son now.
How much did you climb in a day? Did you need to pack in your supplies? I would be very happy to read any details you care to share. The photos are great!
Thank you, enjoyed them very much.
Bob

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am

In and out via helicopter, we had to bring everything in.
9A931857-D310-4511-BC5D-7E701FA6913D.jpeg
Didn’t keep track of our daily vert. Basic rule: until your legs get wobbly. Most people were using AT. Just two telemarkers in the group.
You are correct about the Avy risk. The area is ATES challenging ( in general). You must have your AST1 and mitigate risks. The lodge gets a sat phone avalanche forecast daily and posts it. We began the week at ‘considerable’ (the most difficult rating to assess) but went to ‘moderate’ in the Alpine and ‘low’ in the Treelineby the end of the week. Of course, that corresponds with tightening of conditions but does open up some otherwise dubious territory.

Of course the other alternative is to hire a guide. One young couple had done so and he kept them safe and showed them some outstanding skiing.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Looks like a great trip, especially hitting good weather and snow. The views are awesome. And a helicopter lift in and out! Helicopters are my favorite airborne mode; though never got ferried to a ski destination, spent some time in the air when working forest fires.

Did your wife take those Excursions on your trip?
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Yes, my wife bravely joined in. She was using AT gear - so not the Excursions. That’s her in the blue jacket, white helmet climbing up towards the camera. This is her first year back to downhill skiing after a 20 year year hiatus :shock: so it took some guts for her to come up to Ymir Lodge. Mind you she’s been x-country and slack country skiing all that time.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Enjoyed your TR Mountain Mitch. Was this the Ymir Yurts or a different operation? We were at the YY in the early noughties In March. I think we took a sno cat for the first bit and skinned the rest, but my memory is a bit hazy. We were guided by the owner and from Sunday on the temperature crept up, until by Thursday it was rain, so we took a low angle, valley tour to watch all the slopes letting go. Skiing out on Friday on the logging road we had to climb over 20 feet of snow avalanched across the road. Skiing was really good for the first few days though :D

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Mitch, thank you for the replies. Looks like an awesome vacation, and I enjoyed your trip report. Thank you for sharing.
Bob