Another reason to avoid ski lifts

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Another reason to avoid ski lifts

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Check out this shit-show : https://johnjayandrich.iheart.com/conte ... see-today/
*nobody got seriously injured

How horrifying would that be?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Another reason to avoid ski lifts

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 pm

That was some pretty bad shit. I guess that lift was probably overdue for a safety inspection. Skiing in that part of the world seems to me like it is lagging behind in safety.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Watched a wreck just like that in NY in mid 80s. Opening day (or first good day). New triple. We rode it a couple of times. I think it was my first time on skis. Place filled up, chair got full, we were in line about 20 back, they stopped for a misload, brake wouldn't hold. Worst injuries were from people panicking and bailing out too soon / too high (like 40' high)... but attempts to ride the chair around the bullwheel didn't go well either. Think the resort was Kissing Bridge. Near Buffalo.

sockeye

Post by sockeye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Wow, that centrifugal force was pretty impressive, tossing people so far. Until the chairs started piling up...

STG

Post by STG » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting. Definitely a reminder of why I don't do mechanized skiing: too many people, low-skilled lift operators or other minimum wage people, reckless skiers who never learned basic edge control because of fat, easy-turning boards. I have always thought getting on or off lifts is the most dangerous part of skiing; especially, if you are on three-pin bindings with no cable: you better be centered.