G3 Stinger XCD review coming

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

G3 Stinger XCD review coming

Post by Nick BC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Well the deal was too good to pass up so I bought a pair of 172's from the G3 website for C$300. I've had my eyes on these skis for a while, but there are absolutely no reviews I can find on the web. I know the original smooth base Stinger was highly rated by testers in its preseason, based upon comments from a friend who worked for G3 at the time.

I've had Guides, whose base was concave (a notorious problem) so they washed out on harder snow. I replaced them with BC110's and found them equally squirrelly on harder snow and impossible in the warm, heavy Spring snow in the North Shore Mountains of Vancouver. I get it that Guides, BC series and SBounds are basically cross country construction writ large so I'm hoping another proper DH ski with scales will ski as well as my Vector BC's.

I'm planning to use these Stingers mounted with a Spike 3 pin for mellow tours with my last generation T3 boots. For steeper or more challenging skiing I will still be on my Vector BC's with TTS and Scarpa TX.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: G3 Stinger XCD review coming

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Can't wait! Good luck!

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Nick BC wrote:Well the deal was too good to pass up so I bought a pair of 172's from the G3 website for C$300. I've had my eyes on these skis for a while, but there are absolutely no reviews I can find on the web. I know the original smooth base Stinger was highly rated by testers in its preseason, based upon comments from a friend who worked for G3 at the time.
Indeed the deal was so good I had to buy something too :) My heart went for the XCD FINDr86. They were a few bucks cheaper (274$ CAD) than the Stinger and they had a 1m82 size. Can wait to try them! There must be something wrong with G3 prices. Canadian currency prices are lower than USD? Doesn't make sense.

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Well I've had a few more days out on these skis. If I had to characterize them I would have to say:
1) XC stride and glide is less "directional" than my previous BC110's and Guides, possibly due to the lesser camber and slightly greater sidecut;
2) The downhill performance is streets ahead of those other skis, I skied them at Whistler from top to bottom with no problems.

I think the fact that they are basically an excellent AT touring ski with a waxless base helps. For me, a lot of my Spring tours after the lifts close in Vancouver (in my case Cypress) are on terrain (Hollyburn) which is rolly polly at the lower end, but has some steep pitches at the upper end so you need a capable downhill ski to cope with the Spring snow at the top and a waxless ski helps on the run out in the undulating stretches. I think I'm going to love them for that.

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Thu May 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Well I've had these skis out for a couple more Spring tours and I'm really impressed. Today, the snow was similar to a day last year when I was on Rossi BC 110's (temperature around 14C) and the snow was heavy-slurpy skiing down. Today I could ski it, when last year I was flailing on the Rossi's. Climbing chops are the best of all the waxless skis. I would rate in descending order of the skis I own(ed):

G3 Stinger XCD
Voile Vector BC
Karhu Guide
Rossi BC 110

I also have to say how much I like the Spike three pin, which I have on these skis. Easy in and out without the need to bend down and the climbing bale gives enough height for the angles I would ski with a waxless ski. I went with the Spike because my previous Rotte Super Telemark was a bugger to get into with my right boot. When I first bought the Spike I couldn't click in either and realized the right boot wasn't in as far as the left so I had to sand down my duckbill. Now they work fine :D Maybe that was the problem with the Rotte's, but I don't regret the change as less bending down is good for old 75 year old guys.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

Nick BC wrote:Well I've had these skis out for a couple more Spring tours and I'm really impressed. Today, the snow was similar to a day last year when I was on Rossi BC 110's (temperature around 14C) and the snow was heavy-slurpy skiing down. Today I could ski it, when last year I was flailing on the Rossi's.
This is an excellent comparison Nick- thank you. I am thinking it is equally valuable for the S-Bound 112- my current thinking is that the BC110 and the S-112 are basically the same ski.
Climbing chops are the best of all the waxless skis. I would rate in descending order of the skis I own(ed):

G3 Stinger XCD
Voile Vector BC
Karhu Guide
Rossi BC 110
When you rank these skis are you speaking specifically of climbing performance- or performance overall?
I also have to say how much I like the Spike three pin, which I have on these skis. Easy in and out without the need to bend down and the climbing bale gives enough height for the angles I would ski with a waxless ski. I went with the Spike because my previous Rotte Super Telemark was a bugger to get into with my right boot. When I first bought the Spike I couldn't click in either and realized the right boot wasn't in as far as the left so I had to sand down my duckbill. Now they work fine :D Maybe that was the problem with the Rotte's, but I don't regret the change as less bending down is good for old 75 year old guys.
Yet another positive review of the Spike 3-pin...I am very keen to try them- might have to travel to New England to demo them?

What boot are you using with the Stinger and the Spike binding?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Tue May 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi Gareth,

When you rank these skis are you speaking specifically of climbing performance- or performance overall?

This was climbing performance.

What boot are you using with the Stinger and the Spike binding?

I am using the blue, last generation T3's. I find them a remarkably capable boot for downhill skiing. I think I read on the old Ttips that they were same lower chassis as the old, three buckle T2X but with a lower upper. I find the lower shell tours well with the upper buckle and powerstrap loosened.

Hope you guys weren't affected by the floods we've been seeing on TV.